VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 09:46:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, I think we saw the ceiling...  (Read 865 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2022, 01:16:57 EDT »

...for what we can do with this level of talent.  It's just going to take 2-3 years of recruiting to reach the elite level. We'll get there.

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 01:25:05 EDT »

The rest of the SEC is still on notice. This Tennessee offense played about as poorly as could be imagined today, and give UGA a lot of credit for that. Their defense is outstanding. But for 15 years we've seen Tennessee teams fold in games like this where they get punched in the mouth early. This staff rallied the team and kept them competitive, more or less. We know what UT has on offense, but how many NFL-caliber players are there on defense besides B. Young? Today the defense played well enough that UT would've had a shot to win the game if it had been in Knoxville (we've seen how much teams like Alabama and UK have struggled in Neyland this year, and Sanford did the same thing to our offense today...still a lingering effect of covid and so many of these guys having played so few college games in truly full and intimidating stadiums).

I loved Kirby's smartass comment after the game. "We didn't take one guy from the transfer portal." What the hell is that supposed to mean? Recruiting is recruiting, whether they're straight out of high school or get their feet wet somewhere else. The guard is changing in the SEC, and don't think Kirby Smart doesn't realize it. Give Heupel another year or two, and UGA's days of being the unchallenged leader of the SEC East will be over.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 01:27:19 EDT »

The rest of the SEC is still on notice. This Tennessee offense played about as poorly as could be imagined today, and give UGA a lot of credit for that. Their defense is outstanding. But for 15 years we've seen Tennessee teams fold in games like this where they get punched in the mouth early. This staff rallied the team and kept them competitive, more or less. We know what UT has on offense, but how many NFL-caliber players are there on defense besides B. Young? Today the defense played well enough that UT would've had a shot to win the game if it had been in Knoxville (we've seen how much teams like Alabama and UK have struggled in Neyland this year, and Sanford did the same thing to our offense today...still a lingering effect of covid and so many of these guys having played so few college games in truly full and intimidating stadiums).

I loved Kirby's smartass comment after the game. "We didn't take one guy from the transfer portal." What the hell is that supposed to mean? Recruiting is recruiting, whether they're straight out of high school or get their feet wet somewhere else. The guard is changing in the SEC, and don't think Kirby Smart doesn't realize it. Give Heupel another year or two, and UGA's days of being the unchallenged leader of the SEC East will be over.

Smart is a douche nozzle.  A lot of football left to play, not just for us but for them.  They ain't won nothin' yet.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 01:40:40 EDT »

Yeah, if Smart had 30+ of his best guys transfer OUT, I know he would've stood pat. Sure.

10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 01:52:20 EDT »

Yeah, if Smart had 30+ of his best guys transfer OUT, I know he would've stood pat. Sure.

I think it is possible for us to play them 4 vs 1 in round one.  I think that could be a better game at a neutral site.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 01:54:07 EDT »

I think it is possible for us to play them 4 vs 1 in round one.  I think that could be a better game at a neutral site.

Yes. It would be much better at a neutral site.  Heck, I will try to go to it if so.

Hooker hopefully hits the long balls in a rematch

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 01:59:38 EDT »

One of those game where we played bad and were off....and lost by 14 that seemed like 30.

Hang in there and comeback strong.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 02:14:49 EST by Tnphil » Logged
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 01:23:26 EST »

I saw a team today that can beat UGa.  We were off, the weather and the venue did not favor us at all, and the dawg defense played top notch, but most of that was schematic!  It will be a lot tougher for them to beat us again, indoors, neutral field, and already showing us their hand. 

I would feel good about a rematch this season, if we are that fortunate. 

The most important thing is bouncing back and shaking it off.  One more coaching challenge for Our new coach.  Can Heupel put us back on track?  Thank goodness we are at home.  This schedule is a godsend.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 01:26:01 EST »

I saw a team today that can beat UGa.  We were off, the weather and the venue did not favor us at all, and the dawg defense played top notch, but most of that was schematic!  It will be a lot tougher for them to beat us again, indoors, neutral field, and already showing us their hand. 

I would feel good about a rematch this season, if we are that fortunate. 

The most important thing is bouncing back and shaking it off.  One more coaching challenge for Our new coach.  Can Heupel put us back on track?  Thank goodness we are at home.  This schedule is a godsend.

schedule very favorable this season...for once!

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 03:25:10 EST »

Lot of games left.. If we win out, good chance we get jaw jaw again 1 vs 4 at a "neutral site " aka Georgia Dome.. I like our chances, is hard to beat a team twice in one season.
I knew the Vols were going into a shizzle storm in Athens after we got the top spot, like pouring gas on a wildfire for UGA.. Still got a good chance, just gotta take care of the rest of our games and see how it turns out
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 03:27:04 EST by crockettman » Logged
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2022, 04:41:59 EST »

I don't do "what ifs", and UGA beat us in every way, but keep in mind that we missed 3 open deep balls that we had been hitting on a regular basis.  It is not impossible to beat the dawgs, just not with 8 pre-snap penalties and 6 sacks.  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 04:44:26 EST by LouisVOL » Logged

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2022, 05:33:40 EST »

I don't do "what ifs", and UGA beat us in every way, but keep in mind that we missed 3 open deep balls that we had been hitting on a regular basis.  It is not impossible to beat the dawgs, just not with 8 pre-snap penalties and 6 sacks.  

yep

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2022, 02:17:58 EST »

100% agree

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2022, 08:06:48 EST »

Those really short dropbacks didn't help Hooker much either. But if you move him out of the pocket, he doesn't throw as well on the run. A do-over with UGa would be cool.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: