VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 01:42:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USA 1, Iran 0 65th minute of World Cup match  (Read 937 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2022, 09:28:47 EST »

I know most of you don't care for soccer, but this is a matter of national pride.

Go USA!!!! 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 09:29:29 EST »

Let me add, this will determine who advances. We have to win.  Win or draw, and Iran advances, so there is a lot at stake also.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 12:45:46 EST »

https://www.reddit.com/r/sappydayz/comments/z633nd/a_real_nail_biter/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I tried, I really did. I watched the last 30 minute segment against Wales but it was a snoozefest for me. Way too much running for so little scoring. Also, there is more flopping than than a LeBron James basketball game.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 12:48:38 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 01:02:11 EST »

Yeah, well, this game was more important than Wales, Mostly due to the Iran factor, but also was to determine which team advanced.

If it counts, it was much more exciting than the Wales game, at least in spurts. Iran threatened to score continuously for the last 10 minutes or so, barely missing a couple. By soccer standards it was thrilling. 

Anyway...GO USA!!!!

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 01:28:28 EST »

https://babylonbee.com/news/10-ways-to-make-soccer-watchable
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 01:31:19 EST »

I didn't read it... but I'm just going to say the obvious... #1 way to make soccer more watchable... Cheerleaders.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 01:46:07 EST »

After spending 3 years in the UK I have determined that there is no  way on earth to make it watchable
I did come to the realization that the Oscars are a waste, as the real acting is performed in the Premier League, where everything is a flop

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 02:15:19 EST »

US soccer team, sponsored by Alan's snackbar 

11B4PJ3F7
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 03:48:47 EST »

https://www.reddit.com/r/sappydayz/comments/z633nd/a_real_nail_biter/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I tried, I really did. I watched the last 30 minute segment against Wales but it was a snoozefest for me. Way too much running for so little scoring. Also, there is more flopping than than a LeBron James basketball game.

I watch it kind of like in the background and look up when something exciting is happening lol... Same with golf, and for that matter NASCAR. I've never watched every stroke in a tournament, or every lap in a race. I honestly have trouble watching basketball sometimes. Too much back & forth. Football is king.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 04:34:03 EST »

I really don't mean to disparage folks who enjoy it even though it may seem that way. I have a few friends who are really into it.

I watch a lot of prop golf and understand that many folks find it really boring.

Millions (billions?) of people worldwide would indicate that I'm possibly in the minority on soccer. I just can't make myself like it.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 06:14:01 EST »

A bit more context...Iran would advance with a draw or win, USA needed a win, so if Iran had tied it up in the last 10 minutes, we were out and they were in.  So yeah, that last 10 minutes was very exciting, they just missed scoring 3 times.

For the record, I did not watch the England or Wales matches, though I plan to watch Saturday when USA plays the Netherlands (and very likely gets drubbed...the Dutch are good).

I also don't watch much at all...maybe a short segment of MLS or Premier League if nothing else is on.  But I do try to follow closely in the Olympics or FIFA, I am a big fan of the national team.  I am the same way with hockey actually, but do watch slightly more soccer.

Anyway, this one was a big deal. There was a lot of back and forth before the game, with an Iranian reporter giving our captain some shizzle for not pronouncing Iran correctly and so forth, but mostly it was just, you know...fizzleing IRAN!.  We simply can't lose to those shizzles, and I am glad we did not!   

Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 06:20:37 EST »

I spent my entire life making fun of soccer until I had two kids who fell in love with the game. Spend a few Saturday mornings at your local AYSO field and you'll gain a new respect for the game. Then I was asked to help coach a team so I figured I'd better learn the ins and outs of the game. It's hard to coach a sport you know nothing about, even to 8-year-olds.  I helped for a couple of seasons then wound up coaching a travel team on my own for a couple of seasons. My kids are now juniors in high school and have rounded into pretty solid players. I enjoy soccer. I'm not really a fan of professional soccer, but then I'm not really a huge fan of professional anything.

We attend most of the Lady Vols games at Regal Stadium, though. It's an enjoyable way to spend a Sunday afternoon in the fall.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 06:36:49 EST »

I spent my entire life making fun of soccer until I had two kids who fell in love with the game. Spend a few Saturday mornings at your local AYSO field and you'll gain a new respect for the game. Then I was asked to help coach a team so I figured I'd better learn the ins and outs of the game. It's hard to coach a sport you know nothing about, even to 8-year-olds.  I helped for a couple of seasons then wound up coaching a travel team on my own for a couple of seasons. My kids are now juniors in high school and have rounded into pretty solid players. I enjoy soccer. I'm not really a fan of professional soccer, but then I'm not really a huge fan of professional anything.

We attend most of the Lady Vols games at Regal Stadium, though. It's an enjoyable way to spend a Sunday afternoon in the fall.
When I was in Tampa the first time I ref's local, travel and eventually HS games - Centers could earn a non significant amout of $$$
I gave up HS because the parents were complete and total ignorant A-holes!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: