VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 07:18:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just think...  (Read 611 times)
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2023, 01:20:59 EST »

... with a 12 team playoff how many times last nights snoozer will be multiplied. I predict this will be a case of we didn't know how good we had it.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 01:56:59 EST »

We saw two amazing semifinals to get to last night. That could ALSO be multiplied. 

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 02:14:10 EST »

We saw two amazing semifinals to get to last night. That could ALSO be multiplied. 

Agree.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 02:23:38 EST »

There will be mismatch games. I don’t think anyone would dispute that. I also expect that the likelihood of a championship game like last night will be much less likely.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 03:01:13 EST »

There will be mismatch games. I don’t think anyone would dispute that. I also expect that the likelihood of a championship game like last night will be much less likely.

Agree as you have described & there will be upsets.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 06:43:24 EST »

Agree.  The mismatches likely will be filtered out.

Then again, it might be a function of seeding.  It seems the NFL has had in the past streaks where the AFC dominates the NFC and vice versa.  Thankfully the blowouts of the late 80s/early 90s are mostly a thing of the past, but a bad seeding scheme could lead to a mismatch in the championship.  They would probably have to work hard to screw that up though. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 07:07:26 EST »

When you have a month to prepare then the underdogs can prepare and you see upsets....You saw what happened when TCU only had 1 week to prepare for UGA vs a month to prepare for Michigan.

With the expanded playoffs doing away with long layoffs you won't see as many upsets as you might think. Plus half of the first round games being in the higher seeds home stadiums.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 09:57:17 EST »

When you have a month to prepare then the underdogs can prepare and you see upsets....You saw what happened when TCU only had 1 week to prepare for UGA vs a month to prepare for Michigan.

With the expanded playoffs doing away with long layoffs you won't see as many upsets as you might think. Plus half of the first round games being in the higher seeds home stadiums.
Those are both really good points.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 12:54:48 EST »

There will be three loss teams making the playoffs. They have already proved they are not one of the best teams. Why should they be playing for a NC? They can't get many competitive games with 4 teams. Adding 8 teams won't help.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 02:33:14 EST »

There will be three loss teams making the playoffs. They have already proved they are not one of the best teams. Why should they be playing for a NC? They can't get many competitive games with 4 teams. Adding 8 teams won't help.

We've already been over this at least twice.  Did the 9-7 NY Giants deserve to be in the playoffs the year they beat the undefeated NE Patriots in the SB?  Yes they did.  By definition.

This is just college moving a more traditional playoff format.  Records won't matter anymore. It goes against tradition, but they don't wear leather helmets anymore either.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: