VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 10:11:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lady Vols 68...Missouri 65...FINAL*  (Read 650 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2023, 11:02:18 EST »

`
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 04:12:55 EST »

So  I've only seen a couple LV games this year.  They lost a lot in the OOC games, but are so far undefeated in the SEC.  Is that good? Or is the SEC just down this year?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 04:37:38 EST »

So  I've only seen a couple LV games this year.  They lost a lot in the OOC games, but are so far undefeated in the SEC.  Is that good? Or is the SEC just down this year?

The SEC seems to be a little down. The best teams, LSU and South Carolina, are two of the best in the country. But the rest of them appear to be mediocre. Only LSU and SC are ranked.  The Lady Vols, so far, have been better than the rest but I'm afraid LSU and SC are going to be a severe reality check.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 05:05:22 EST »

The SEC seems to be a little down. The best teams, LSU and South Carolina, are two of the best in the country. But the rest of them appear to be mediocre. Only LSU and SC are ranked.  The Lady Vols, so far, have been better than the rest but I'm afraid LSU and SC are going to be a severe reality check.

Two teams that dared to look outside "the family" when they hired their current coaches. Something we refuse to do. Now we're a has-been who rarely makes it out of the first weekend in the NCAAT.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 05:06:09 EST »

The Jackson girl for UT is one of the best in the country and probably a lottery pick. There are several others that are ok. They have improved but are far from elite. Got UConn...LSU...USC coming up before long. IMO the best chance at one win would be UConn.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 05:53:18 EST »

Two teams that dared to look outside "the family" when they hired their current coaches. Something we refuse to do. Now we're a has-been who rarely makes it out of the first weekend in the NCAAT.

Well. Pump the brakes a bit. How often has that happened?  A couple times. (I serously don't know and am too lazy to look it up  ). 

Not saying that's a good thing, but as for being a has been, if you define that as regular FF appearances that's been true a long time, unfortunately.  Guess it depends on the definition of "has been". 

Which is to say, am I happy with where the LVs are?  No, of course not. 

I get that SC and LSU might expose them, and hope that won't happen, but I guess we will see.

Again not tracking it that closely but at least recruiting seems to be going well for Kellie.  Hope thats actually true and that she can develop them.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 06:48:40 EST »

I haven't followed recruiting much...but back around Christmas they had zero high school commits for the 2023 class? The 2 two hotshot recruiters she brought in have a total of 1 high school recruit to their name and 1 walkon. Holly has been getting players from the portal...But unless it's changed we aren't close to recruiting with the top teams in the country.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 07:23:39 EST »

Well. Pump the brakes a bit. How often has that happened?  A couple times. (I serously don't know and am too lazy to look it up  ). 

Not saying that's a good thing, but as for being a has been, if you define that as regular FF appearances that's been true a long time, unfortunately.  Guess it depends on the definition of "has been". 

Which is to say, am I happy with where the LVs are?  No, of course not. 

I get that SC and LSU might expose them, and hope that won't happen, but I guess we will see.

Again not tracking it that closely but at least recruiting seems to be going well for Kellie.  Hope thats actually true and that she can develop them.

They made the sweet 16 last year. Before that, they hadn’t done so since 2016. And barring an upset, I don’t see them getting there this year, either.

By this program’s standards, I would definitely call that being a “has been”. The Kennesaw States of the world may be satisfied with regular 1st and 2nd round NCAAT exits, but we ain’t Kennesaw State.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 02:34:37 EST »

They made the sweet 16 last year. Before that, they hadn’t done so since 2016. And barring an upset, I don’t see them getting there this year, either.

By this program’s standards, I would definitely call that being a “has been”. The Kennesaw States of the world may be satisfied with regular 1st and 2nd round NCAAT exits, but we ain’t Kennesaw State.   

Well, we did make the Sweet 16 last year, so that's progress.  I agree it can and should be better.

Regular trips to the FF is indeed the standard here, but as you point out the standard is high.

In addition to our issues I just think the entire brand of WNCAA bball has more quality and quantity than previously and its harder to compete.

Personally I would like to see us sustain trips to the Sweet 16 and then build on that for more FF appearances.

What it translates into in practical terms is that we need to compete in the SEC with Junior I think.  They are the standard bearer for teh SEC at this time, unfortunately.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 05:08:20 EST »

Big game tonight for the LVs.  I wish I could be there - should be a great atmosphere.  I hope our gals can dig in and fight with those Huskies paw to paw! 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: