VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 07:40:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report  (Read 511 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2023, 03:34:48 EDT »

Offense:
QB:  Joe was better last night.  He had one bad overthrow to Keyton but that may have been a miscommunication between them judging from the post series discussion.  He dropped 4 dimes (one should have been a PI).  Tends to avoid the middle of the field, even when the crossing patterns are working.  While all players were culpable last, night wasn?t on Joe.

RB:  Wright is the best of the group period.dot.  He ran hard and got extra yards all night for YAC. Small a step down IMO.

WR:  White was open far more that he was targeted.  He was routineky beating his defender off the line. Keyton disappointing to me.  Bru was a non factor to the 4th.  Thorton needs to learn to use his size, can be very good in this offense.

TE:  Warren is better in the run game at the moment but in my view Castle is our best option at TE as he is rapidly improving. 

OL:  It was clear that Coop wasn?t going to play.  Mincey started and was replace by Crawford and eventually went into sulk mode and in my view was a detriment to the group.  Crawford gave up a bad sack but for the most part protection was good.  For the most part Joe had time and the run game was effective.  It is clear that the line enjoys running the ball, they pulled (Campbell and Sprags) pulled Wright to two 1st downs.

Coaching:  Weird play calling, way too much lateral passing in the middle 2/3 of the game.  We clearly miss the Mad Russian calling the plays.

Defense:
In general, tackling was very bad, across the board.

DL:  Worst game of the year.  Contain was a four letter word to be avoided in the first half.  They got pressure but almost always from the inside. 

LB:  Other than Beasley we aren?t good there.  FL schemed to limit his effectiveness.

Corners:   I think #1 is better that Haden.    We did rotate corner a lot. 

Safety:  Banks loves him some Tank.  I do NOT share that love.  Slow and poor tackling hurst us game after game. 

Coaching:  We played a LOT of 2 deep zone and we played it poorly.  I think that the wrong scheme against the FL offense.  Adjustments were slow in coming and the ones that were made at the  half were aided by FL and their choices in the 2nd half.

Bottom line:  We need to play the offense to the player?s strengths.  In my view we are NOT doing that at the moment.  On defense, the injury to Pili has really hurt the defense.  We need vast improvement at safety.  Corners are better but that is damning with faint praise.  If we don?t get consistent pressure on Rattler he will carve up the secondary.

It was great meeting Bandit and Coup last night!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 03:55:22 EDT »

Wonder where Sampson was as a RB option last night? Joe passed decently I suppose, but as I recall his game and time management seemed lacking for a 6th year senior. Seemed uncertain too often. Didn't Heupel say Mays was good to go this week? Strange. It really has no impact on my life, but this one was another gut stomper. Gets old.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 04:19:11 EDT »

Wonder where Sampson was as a RB option last night? Joe passed decently I suppose, but as I recall his game and time management seemed lacking for a 6th year senior. Seemed uncertain too often. Didn't Heupel say Mays was good to go this week? Strange. It really has no impact on my life, but this one was another gut stomper. Gets old.
when Uncle Austin posted on VQ yesterday morning in language that definitely implied he wasn?t going to play.  AP knows the Mayes family very well.
Coop?s face showed his disappoint last night
My belief is a few snaps next week and full go against the lame cocks

Time management
That was on the coaching staff
On the play right before the half where we ran 35 secs off they changed the play TWICE and that didn?t leave time for the receivers to get positioned!  (Yeah I?m anal about thing like that)
We had the TOs and did not choose to use them
Then in the 2nd half the coaching indecision cost us 2 early TOs.
We miss the Mad Russian because CJH trusted him. 

Joe was locking onto receivers at times last night

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

InvestiGator
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 04:51:43 EDT »

You forgot me, PV!

Great to see you again. Should have called you last year so you could have seen me at that game when the tables were turned. Will holler next year as I almost always go to the UF game in Knoxville and visit TRO.

Sucks that this series is not going to continue the way we know it.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 04:58:22 EDT »

There were issues from the coaching staff on time management, but I think that both early second half timeouts were really on Joe. There was plenty of time on the play clock when he took the first TO - he didn?t need the TO at that point. On the second TO, he had no idea where the play clock was when they ran the safety up into the box. He was about to try to change the play.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 05:00:30 EDT by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 05:14:29 EDT »

Just another game at the swamp where everything that could go wrong did. Play of the game was the long run for TD after our TD. Then we got punched in the mouth & had no plan. Had we been able to go up two scores maybe the flow of the game is different.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 05:33:46 EDT »

Florida RB had his all-time best rushing against our asses last night....pitiful. our D didn't get all better the 2nd half....Florida played keep away on purpose. Hadden would never play another down for me....ever.

If our offense isn't clicking on all cylinders we are in a world of hurt....We better hope Nico is as advertised or we are in a world of hurt...Joe cannot process fast enough to run this offense like it needs to be run...Hooker put players on his back and made players around him better....Joe can't control his own game much less other players.

Play calling was iffy a lot last night and some conceding was in there too....IMO the final TO was bush league and caused a targeting call and we will have a player sitting the first half next week because of it....We were out coached and out played by a Napier led team. Not good with a senior heavy team like we have. If not much improvement going forward there will be several more losses coming. Right now 8-4 looks good IMO.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 05:36:54 EDT »

Florida RB had his all-time best rushing against our asses last night....pitiful. our D didn't get all better the 2nd half....Florida played keep away on purpose. Hadden would never play another down for me....ever.

If our offense isn't clicking on all cylinders we are in a world of hurt....We better hope Nico is as advertised or we are in a world of hurt...Joe cannot process fast enough to run this offense like it needs to be run...Hooker put players on his back and made players around him better....Joe can't control his own game much less other players.

Play calling was iffy a lot last night and some conceding was in there too....IMO the final TO was bush league and caused a targeting call and we will have a player sitting the first half next week because of it....We were out coached and out played by a Napier led team. Not good with a senior heavy team like we have. If not much improvement going forward there will be several more losses coming. Right now 8-4 looks good IMO.

I'd take 8-4. I could see the wheels coming off too. Supposedly we had 3 players suspended last night... Slaughter, Mincey, Sampson. Something seems off with this team. Surely the honeymoon isn't already over.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 05:40:17 EDT by SmokeyJoe » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2023, 05:55:43 EDT »

Great point about the loss of Golesh Pirate. I am worried about that and last night may have been an indicator that it's not misplaced

As for the rest of the season, 8 4 popped into my head last night also

Having said that, I am hoping we are back to the mid 90s tradition of losing to UF and then snapping back and having a good rest of the season

Not the losing to UF part of course...but the going 9 0 or 8 1 the rest of the way would be nice 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2023, 11:10:08 EDT »

There were issues from the coaching staff on time management, but I think that both early second half timeouts were really on Joe. There was plenty of time on the play clock when he took the first TO - he didn?t need the TO at that point. On the second TO, he had no idea where the play clock was when they ran the safety up into the box. He was about to try to change the play.
actually, both we?re called by Heup

It seemed play changes were on the ?normal? routine when Joe had to walk up for the protections, etc and that threw the entire cadence off

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2023, 02:07:32 EDT »

1) Congratulations InvestiGator

2) Completely agree Milton had shining moments, and was far from the primary reason we lost

3) Good point on Jeady-Lally being solid

4) I think Harrison and Pearce each lost contain on a key play.

5) It seems we have weapons, but they're not utilized. This game was not a one-off.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: