VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 05:52:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The absolute state of today?s US military?  (Read 1287 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2023, 07:15:10 EDT »

So a Marine pilot (of course😉) crashes an F35 on US soil, and not only can they not find it, they?re having the general public call in to a tip line if they have any info. Keep in mind that the F35 is our latest 5th Gen fighter with many, many classified systems onboard. If you see one of these at, say, an air show, it?ll be roped off and you won?t get within 100 feet of it.

Sounds like that pilot could?ve used a bit more seasoning behind the stick. But I?ll bet he was very much up to date on his gender sensitivity training.

https://x.com/teamcharleston/status/1703523385475534968?s=61&t=wvMUJkiaXIInhx71fKgtyw

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 07:22:15 EDT »

Nothing to worry about. It's at the bottom of one of the two biggest lakes in our state. It's perfectly preserved. 

Although I can't believe no one saw it go down. It's not like those lakes are not full of people all of the time.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 07:31:03 EDT »

Nothing to worry about. It's at the bottom of one of the two biggest lakes in our state. It's perfectly preserved. 

Although I can't believe no one saw it go down. It's not like those lakes are not full of people all of the time.

It's a stealth aircraft dude 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 08:14:31 EDT »

People who actually know stuff please critique the following.

1) Presumably there are extremely specific protocols for ejecting, e.g., <= 5,000' and catastrophic failure is imminent or something.

2) In the event of a peacetime/training ejection, but the craft is still flying, is another plane responsible for tracking the doomed aircraft?

3) Would an ejection change the plane's signature so as to render it detectable by radar?

4) I'm guessing it was pointed out to sea and could have traveled a couple of hundred miles offshore prior to running out of fuel if nothing was seriously wrong.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 08:33:20 EDT »

People who actually know stuff please critique the following.

1) Presumably there are extremely specific protocols for ejecting, e.g., <= 5,000' and catastrophic failure is imminent or something.
Yes there is (it seems that perhaps some checklist items were omitted in this incident)

2) In the event of a peacetime/training ejection, but the craft is still flying, is another plane responsible for tracking the doomed aircraft?
Typically no, the concern is the ejecting aircrew

3) Would an ejection change the plane's signature so as to render it detectable by radar?
I would suspect slightly.  In this case I doubt seriously if detection was an issue (I will say no more)

4) I'm guessing it was pointed out to sea and could have traveled a couple of hundred miles offshore prior to running out of fuel if nothing was seriously wrong.
Depends on the situation.  Without a lot of data I suspect this may have been a hasty ejection.  The ejection occurred mid afternoon so the lack of visual sighting is unusual to me.  The flight should have been on radar and the transponder active.  They should have at least a bearing. If it was, as I assume, low level doubt it made it to the Atlantic

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 02:02:45 EDT »

Much appreciated Pirate! My civilian brain had scrambled thoughts.

It's very interesting the transponder may have been on, and it may not have gone far out to sea.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 02:59:03 EDT »

Much appreciated Pirate! My civilian brain had scrambled thoughts.

It's very interesting the transponder may have been on, and it may not have gone far out to sea.
no problem sir

They found the wreckage today, 2 hours away
That raises more questions to me, flew well on it?s own
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 03:07:19 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 07:57:35 EDT »

no problem sir

They found the wreckage today, 2 hours away
That raises more questions to me, flew well on it?s own

I read somewhere that some people did see it go by and they thought it was flying inverted and they say they saw the canopy. 

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2023, 08:06:31 EDT »

I read somewhere that some people did see it go by and they thought it was flying inverted and they say they saw the canopy. 
The pilot is ejected through the canopy (the area above the pilot is supposed to be blasted into fragments first but usually some get embedded into the skin on the way out)
So, some of the canopy would still be there

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2023, 09:25:51 EDT »

When I was in the Navy most ejection seats where Martin Baker...and the canopy would be jettisoned first a nano second before ejection...In case of emergency most could break through the canopy and hope the pilot doesn't get his neck broke...The older ejection seats you had to reach up with both hands and pull the ejection handle and screen...You would pull it down over you face and this also put you in the correct position for ejection...A lot of moving parts had to happen in a blink of a eye.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2023, 09:33:12 EDT »

When I was in the Navy most ejection seats where Martin Baker...and the canopy would be jettisoned first a nano second before ejection...In case of emergency most could break through the canopy and hope the pilot doesn't get his neck broke...The older ejection seats you had to reach up with both hands and pull the ejection handle and screen...You would pull it down over you face and this also put you in the correct position for ejection...A lot of moving parts had to happen in a blink of a eye.
The F-35 is a MB seat but the canopy is installed backwards, thus you go through it

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2023, 09:38:22 EDT »

I know nothing about the F-35....I went to sea with the F 4....A 4 and A 7.... Then I spent several years in the reserves with the P 3 Orion.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2023, 02:34:14 EDT »

I know nothing about the F-35....I went to sea with the F 4....A 4 and A 7.... Then I spent several years in the reserves with the P 3 Orion.

$80 million per unit, which is chump change compared to the B2 at $1 billion/unit. Glad the politicians we all hate have put us in position to have to spend that kind of money to "defend the homeland" which is what the Constitution provides for... 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2023, 02:51:32 EDT »

Upon further review, is this a case of pilot panic (seems unlikely for anyone meriting an F-35 seat)? Did software go haywire?

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2023, 04:08:01 EDT »

Upon further review, is this a case of pilot panic (seems unlikely for anyone meriting an F-35 seat)? Did software go haywire?
i will not speculate here
However, I expect to be rich in 9-12 months when the JAGMAN report comes out
The pilot who bailed was flight lead and the wingman landed his aircraft

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2023, 04:54:41 EDT »

Come on y'all. shizzle is embarrassing. I know this ain't Alex Jones, but I think it is true. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/f-35-fighter-jets-only-mission-capable-55-percent-time-rcna111308
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2023, 04:59:31 EDT »

I have heard certain things about the F-35 and when it can or cannot fly. I won't repeat the specifics here, but lets just say that I would not be surprised that it is not available as much as it should be.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2023, 01:30:28 EDT »

I have heard certain things about the F-35 and when it can or cannot fly. I won't repeat the specifics here, but lets just say that I would not be surprised that it is not available as much as it should be.
I lived and breathed F-35 for over 8 years, till July (still do a bit).
In my view it's sustainment (in particular but applies to the entire weapon system) is too rigid and monolithic.  
There are layers of complexity within that statement and I won't bore you with them but that is the primary reason for its low availability
Oh, and the incompetence of the JPO, aided and abetted by LM!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 06:04:36 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2023, 05:52:31 EDT »

and only mission ready 55% of the time.           
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2023, 09:17:09 EDT »

As VTTW's resident caveman, these issues sound perplexing. My mantra is, "simple is executable."

In fairness, I grudgingly admit fuel injectors may be superior to carburetors in some respects. Otherwise, technology is bad and scary.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2023, 09:20:22 EDT »

As VTTW's resident caveman, these issues sound perplexing. My mantra is, "simple is executable."

In fairness, I grudgingly admit fuel injectors may be superior to carburetors in some respects. Otherwise, technology is bad and scary.
If you want to stay simple, RUN, not walk away from the F-35, before ALIS says you are unserviceable ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2023, 09:23:32 EDT »

I'm sure they can just ask the pilot what happened. He did eject. No need to speculate.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2023, 09:41:26 EDT »

I'm sure they can just ask the pilot what happened. He did eject. No need to speculate.
THAT is what is confusing the situation.
His comments (that have been made public) seem incredulous to those of us that know the jet and have been part of accident investigations in the past
I have "heard" that he is a very experienced pilot.

As a curious observer, I will only state the #1 job of a pilot in an aircraft is to AVIATE.  All else is secondary.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 09:50:09 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2023, 10:44:10 EDT »

THAT is what is confusing the situation.
His comments (that have been made public) seem incredulous to those of us that know the jet and have been part of accident investigations in the past
I have "heard" that he is a very experienced pilot.

As a curious observer, I will only state the #1 job of a pilot in an aircraft is to AVIATE.  All else is secondary.

I agree. Something seems askew don't it? Maybe the aircraft are too technical for jarheads..lol. jk it takes all branches to be successful protecting the good ole USA. Go Air Force.

volsboyinsodak
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2023, 11:29:11 EDT »

I embrace technology. Having fought in Desert Storm and then later in Iraq & Afghanistan, a hard lesson learned was understand that he who owned the better technology won. Every time.

The aforementioned is what drove me to seek technology as my post Army career

11B4PJ3F7
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: