VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 09:06:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Thread: Mizzou 2023  (Read 3251 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2023, 03:58:43 EST »

This is what we'll get until Heupel gets a clue about defense and hires coaches that can coach it. He will not win an SEC title. Last year was his ceiling. He will be a 9-3 type coach. Which is fine if that's all you want He is too one sided toward offense and will always suffer on the D side of the ball. Mizzou and Bama are the only two offenses we have played with any kind of punch. That's why the defensive numbers have been kind of misleading. Yet you folks act like they are the second coming of the Steel Curtain. It didn't take much to improve over last years defense. Hopefully they can get off to a quick start against UGa and make it a good game. If things change and Heupel proves me wrong I will admit it. I thought he was a QB guru. He ain't fixed Milton. 

Milton can't be fixed. He is what he is. Plenty of arm and heart but doesn't seem to understand the nuances of the offense. Even I could see when he handed off the ball when he should have run or passed it. And I'm no QB guru. Our offense demands more from a QB than physical talent.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2023, 04:11:36 EST »

Milton can't be fixed. He is what he is. Plenty of arm and heart but doesn't seem to understand the nuances of the offense. Even I could see when he handed off the ball when he should have run or passed it. And I'm no QB guru. Our offense demands more from a QB than physical talent.

Yed

11B4PJ3F7
10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2023, 04:12:45 EST »

This is what we'll get until Heupel gets a clue about defense and hires coaches that can coach it. He will not win an SEC title. Last year was his ceiling. He will be a 9-3 type coach. Which is fine if that's all you want He is too one sided toward offense and will always suffer on the D side of the ball. Mizzou and Bama are the only two offenses we have played with any kind of punch. That's why the defensive numbers have been kind of misleading. Yet you folks act like they are the second coming of the Steel Curtain. It didn't take much to improve over last years defense. Hopefully they can get off to a quick start against UGa and make it a good game. If things change and Heupel proves me wrong I will admit it. I thought he was a QB guru. He ain't fixed Milton. 

Do you realize the lack of depth and skill players we came from?  We FINALLY are going to have a high rated class this year.  He has gotten more out of less than anyone in the country.  We are fine.  
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2023, 04:14:41 EST »

Well said. We were fortunate on the (correct) call on passing at the line of scrimmage, but it's indicative of how slowly things are seen.

Ditto the option to start the second half.

Also, nothing good happens after a juke. He's gotta just go.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2023, 04:16:47 EST »

Well said. We were fortunate on the (correct) call on passing at the line of scrimmage, but it's indicative of how slowly things are seen.

Ditto the option to start the second half.

Also, nothing good happens after a juke. He's gotta just go.
we have been running the option a few times a game the last few weeks

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2023, 04:48:47 EST »

Yep
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2023, 04:55:17 EST »

yup

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2023, 06:20:31 EST »

Running a option to the short side is stupid. And....GitmoMilton can't run a option if he had 200 yards to run it. He looks like a spider money cracking a basketball trying to run it.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2023, 01:40:43 EST »

Running a option to the short side is stupid. And....GitmoMilton can't run a option if he had 200 yards to run it. He looks like a spider money cracking a basketball trying to run it.

This is the problem. Short side options require a decisive cut by the QB that either hits a crease or collapses the edge, leaving the pitch man uncovered.

Milton just goes down the line and runs out of real estate, which lets the defense string it out without committing.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2023, 03:56:40 EST »

This is the problem. Short side options require a decisive cut by the QB that either hits a crease or collapses the edge, leaving the pitch man uncovered.

Milton just goes down the line and runs out of real estate, which lets the defense string it out without committing.

100 percent correct.....Whoever designed that play with GitmoMilton needs to be dipped in a outdoor toilet and then shot for stinking.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 07:25:04 EST by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2023, 05:05:45 EST »

This is full of your usual distortions.  No one has said that this is the "second coming of the Steel curtain", just that it is greatly improved.  And it is. Numbers don't lie.  We have gone from 94th in the country in scoring D to top 30, and from almost dead last in passing defense (128th!) to 69th. I'm not saying 69th is great, but it's a whole helluva lot better than last year.

Defense was bad yesterday and still held them under 30 defensive points as pointed out above. Last year teams scored a lot more on us, period, dot.

That doesn't mean the defense doesn't have quite a ways to go...it does.  What we let that no. 7 do to us yesterday is unforgivable.

But yesterday wasn't mostly on the D....the offense truly stunk it up.  I guess Joe Milton never did truly get it together. He has tremendous physical skills and even strings together some good stats for a half or even a full game sometimes, but he just doesn't seem to be the type that knows how to lead teams to a win.  Plays scared a lot of the time. It's too bad.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2023, 08:24:48 EST »

This is full of your usual distortions.  No one has said that this is the "second coming of the Steel curtain", just that it is greatly improved.  And it is. Numbers don't lie.  We have gone from 94th in the country in scoring D to top 30, and from almost dead last in passing defense (128th!) to 69th. I'm not saying 69th is great, but it's a whole helluva lot better than last year.

Defense was bad yesterday and still held them under 30 defensive points as pointed out above. Last year teams scored a lot more on us, period, dot.

That doesn't mean the defense doesn't have quite a ways to go...it does.  What we let that no. 7 do to us yesterday is unforgivable.

But yesterday wasn't mostly on the D....the offense truly stunk it up.  I guess Joe Milton never did truly get it together. He has tremendous physical skills and even strings together some good stats for a half or even a full game sometimes, but he just doesn't seem to be the type that knows how to lead teams to a win.  Plays scared a lot of the time. It's too bad.
If you want to win titles, SEC or whatever title, those numbers won't cut it. Don't you think most playoff teams will have better defensive rankings? Bottom line, the D will need to improve about the same amount again next year to contend. When have offensive leaning coaches like Heupel ever had shut down defenses? He will not ever with the staff he has right now. Heupel is a "let's outscore the other team' type coach. Always has been, always will be. If the offense struggles you are in trouble. Just as you stated. He needs to find a great defensive coordinator and just coach the offense. Hopefully, Nico is the guy to have an dynamic offense with. If he is the guy, why isn't he starting already? I expect Heupel to explain that. He knows Milton is not the guy. You can tell by how is afraid to make certain calls in the red zone. What is his excuse for Nico?
, wouldn't he be starting already.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2023, 03:48:02 EST »

True about the short side...had the same thought myself. Not sure why the staff called that, unless they thought it would be a surprise.

As to Milton, your observation may be true, but we have had success with it in other games.

Bad call on that first play though. Not a great way to set the stage for the half.  Would rather have seen a quick out or even a run up the middle.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2023, 12:45:29 EST »

Speaking of winning SEC titles. We already have to usually beat UF, Bama and UGa all in the same season to win a title. Now we are throwing Texas and OU into the mix won't make it easier. The upcoming schedules are going to be a cluster. The 12 team playoff won't hurt us on that front.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2023, 01:00:19 EST »

Speaking of winning SEC titles. We already have to usually beat UF, Bama and UGa all in the same season to win a title. Now we are throwing Texas and OU into the mix won't make it easier. The upcoming schedules are going to be a cluster. The 12 team playoff won't hurt us on that front.

No more divisions actually makes it easier.

In fact, with the twelve game playoff I think an 11-1 team excluded from the SECC could still make it, assuming the one loss was close.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2023, 01:12:29 EST »

The thing that I don't get is with 12 teams you may get a three loss team in the playoff. Haven't they already proven they are not the best team?

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2023, 02:18:03 EST »

Iirc, in 2024 we do not play Bama, UGA, or OU.

Brain fart! I meant 2025.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 05:08:26 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 16, 2023, 02:23:05 EST »

Iirc, in 2024 we do not play Bama, UGA, or OU.
We play bamer and we travel to Norman to play OU and Athens to play UGA

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 16, 2023, 05:07:39 EST »

Yep. My bad. I meant to say 2025.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2023, 01:57:24 EST »

Yep. My bad. I meant to say 2025.
I only knew because we are planing to go to OKC/Norman for the game next year

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2023, 02:05:15 EST »

ouch

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2023, 02:32:33 EST »

I only knew because we are planing to go to OKC/Norman for the game next year
Thanks for the heads up! 👍🏻
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: