VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 10:27:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DeBoer to Bama per Fox Sports  (Read 527 times)
Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2024, 10:03:32 EST »

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/college-football/alabama-hires-washingtons-kalen-deboer-to-replace-nick-saban-as-coach
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 10:05:37 EST »

Good coach. But anyone they hired was going to be a downgrade. Still happy.

Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 10:17:33 EST »

I agree. I think DeBoer will work out well for the Vols. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 10:59:07 EST »

He's not in the Pac 12 anymore, for sure.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 11:47:31 EST »

Good coach. But anyone they hired was going to be a downgrade. Still happy.

Not Saban = good. 
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 12:52:54 EST »

It won't make much difference if Bama keeps having the #1 or #2 ranked recruiting class every year. A good coach will still thrive there.

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 01:16:42 EST »

It won't make much difference if Bama keeps having the #1 or #2 ranked recruiting class every year. A good coach will still thrive there.

By that logic, Jimbo Fisher should be dominating at A&M. Instead he?s kicking it on a beach somewhere living that sweet buyout life.

wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 03:34:45 EST »

He's not in the Pac 12 anymore, for sure.   

And he will not have Pac 12 talent
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2024, 04:43:20 EST »

Unfortunately he will have SEC/Bama talent, unless he slips in his recruiting duties. Hopefully they will be easier to beat.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2024, 05:50:24 EST »

I just saw that Deboer's first SEC home game is against UGa. Good luck. Some crazy schedules coming with the new realignment.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2024, 06:44:25 EST »

Unfortunately he will have SEC/Bama talent, unless he slips in his recruiting duties. Hopefully they will be easier to beat.

They have already slipped and will continue to do so.

I only learned this by listening to local talk radio here in Huntsville near the end of the season but Bama lost SIX OL to the portal. Well...5 OL and a TE who mostly blocked.

I didn't believe it, so I looked it up and it was true. 2 starters from 2022 left, and one backup projected to be a starter. Of the other two, one had played a lot and the other not much.

But. They lost 3 starters and likely a 2nd stringer off their OL, plus two more that were depth I suppose.

Their OL struggled all year, at least by bama standards, and in fact you can see it was an OL mistake that likely cost them in the playoffs.

The NIL and portal have really leveled the playing field talent wise. Don't get me wrong, bama talent still at the top with uga, but its a lot less of a gap than it was a few years ago, and ut definitely showed this year. They were very lucky to beat Auburn . Lost to Texas at home. Trailed us by 13 at the half.etc.

So I don't see DeBoer stepping in and winning the naty next year.

I think he's a great coach, and will be very competitive,  but is it enough?

The one thing that gives me pause is that Saban will be around in an advisory role, but that could also backfire if he meddles too much.

One takeaway is, I think Saban knew when to get out. It's not going to be easy for DeBoer. IMO.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 06:51:37 EST by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: