VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 12:07:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinion Piece...15 Best Classic Rock Songs of All Time  (Read 786 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2024, 08:46:33 EST »

Disclaimer: This is not my list...I did not make this list...However I do agree with several. And I had a roommate in the early 70s that played Stairway to Heaven at least 4 times per day...I would have shot the bastard that wrote that song if I could have found him...

https://singersroom.com/w34/best-classic-rock-songs-of-all-time/
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 08:53:27 EST »

That?s such a subjective list. How do you even begin? What year is the cutoff for ?classic? rock? They?ve got GnR on there, so I guess they?re going back to the late 80s.

And while most of those are the biggest hits, I can think of at last one tune I like better for every artist they listed.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 09:23:39 EST »

Somebody who grew up in the 80's compiled that garbage

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 09:58:55 EST »

I agree with maybe a half dozen, find others puzzling

As for Stairway...   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 12:50:56 EST »

I dig a lot of classic rock.  Probably my favorite genre.  But one band I really never got was Pink Floyd.   
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 01:38:06 EST »

I dig a lot of classic rock.  Probably my favorite genre.  But one band I really never got was Pink Floyd.  
same, and add queen to the list

Many, MANY years ago, like the mid 80's/ early 90's, we were living in Seattle and my brother had just graduated HS. The summer prior to him moving back to Brevard NC to attend college, he worked at Genie Industries in Redmond WA. One of his work friends was a band member of Queensryche. They had just recorded Take Hold of the Flame, and he gave my brother a bootleg copy which was passed to me.

I can still see the cassette in my head, and I can still hear the lyrics. It was a great time to live in Seattle :)

11B4PJ3F7
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 03:09:20 EST »

I am lustily booing Vinnie and FL's takes. Y'all have collectively posted so much good stuff over the years. Hating on Pink Floyd and Queen is mind-boggling, but admittedly "Bohemian Rhapsody" is annoying.

This may get me banned, but "Firebird" is not close to Skynyrd's best. BDV has a solid point.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 03:14:01 EST by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 03:39:07 EST »

I am lustily booing Vinnie and FL's takes. Y'all have collectively posted so much good stuff over the years. Hating on Pink Floyd and Queen is mind-boggling, but admittedly "Bohemian Rhapsody" is annoying.

This may get me banned, but "Firebird" is not close to Skynyrd's best. BDV has a solid point.

it's just a generational thing IMO. I'm a 'young' early 50's yo, and Vinnie as an old 40ish  

I don't "hate" Queen, I just wasn't part of the crowd that was exposed to their tunes as they were released. The only song that I know of is Bohemian Rhapsody, and ironically I fined it somewhat entertaining.

Adding to the conversation, In my time spent in Seattle, I used to go Gorilla Gardens. It was a venue that all of the new grunge bands would play. While I can't swear to it, but I'll firmly attest that I participated in booing Eddy Vedder / Pearl Jam off of the stage. I *might* have listened to Sound Garden during their infancy as well.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 04:12:18 EST by FLVOL » Logged

11B4PJ3F7
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 03:57:09 EST »

Free Bird is number 4, at best, of my favoirite Skynard songs
Behind Simple Man, Tuesday's Gone and What's that smell and possibly Give me back my bullets

When I was living in the deep South usually Free Bird and Stairway battled it our for #1

Honestly, there are 4 Allman Brothers songs ahead of Free Bird IMO.

Having typed all that I will be front and center March 15 at the FCC to have a listen to Skynard and the Tres Hombres 

Now if they could find a way to include Marshal Tucker and a reunion of sorts for the Allaman Brothers It would be a beyond fantastic night
(as an aside, one night in Orlando Skynard and Greg's group shared a bill.  Wotth every penny I paid to be there, and more)

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 03:58:56 EST »

Adding to the conversation, In my time spent in Seattle, I used to go Gorilla Gardens. It was a venue that all of the new grunge bands would play. While I can't swear to it, but I'll firmly attest that I participated in booing Eddy Vedder / Pearl Jam off of the stage. I *might* have listened to Sound Garden during the infancy as well.
Who are you???

FWIW, I learned to like Queen.  Wasn't a fan in their early days and I also do not consider them part of the Classic Rock era

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 03:59:28 EST »

it's just a generational thing IMO. I'm a 'young' early 50's yo, and Vinnie as an old 40ish  

I don't "hate" Queen, I just wasn't part of the crowd that was exposed to their tunes as they were released. The only song that I know of is Bohemian Rhapsody, and ironically I fined it somewhat entertaining.

Adding to the conversation, In my time spent in Seattle, I used to go Gorilla Gardens. It was a venue that all of the new grunge bands would play. While I can't swear to it, but I'll firmly attest that I participated in booing Eddy Vedder / Pearl Jam off of the stage. I *might* have listened to Sound Garden during the infancy as well.

You can't go wrong booing Pearl Jam off the stage.  Never did get why they were a success, and still don't.

I like some of Queen's stuff, but they are overrated IMO.

As long as we are talking "better hits", while Comfortably Numb is one of Pink Floyd's better songs, Learning to Fly is by far the best.  Its the only one they don't sound like they are about to jump off the ledge.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 03:59:49 EST »

I dig a lot of classic rock.  Probably my favorite genre.  But one band I really never got was Pink Floyd.   
Man, your are truely on the Dark Side of the Moon!

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 04:03:13 EST »

You can't go wrong booing Pearl Jam off the stage.  Never did get why they were a success, and still don't.

As long as we are talking "better hits", while Comfortably Numb is one of Pink Floyd's better songs, Learning to Fly is by far the best.  Its the only one they don't sound like they are about to jump off the ledge.   
Saw their tour with Comfortably Numb  in, of all plaaces, Oakland Alameda Stadium in 1988?  Good concert, only time I saw Floyd LIVE

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 04:10:22 EST »

Who are you???

11B4PJ3F7
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2024, 04:17:21 EST »

See that?s it mostly for me and PF.  So depressing!  Sounds like stoner ?woe is me? music.

I do like Queen though!
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2024, 07:56:35 EST »

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. The smart ones keep it to themselves until they test the room.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2024, 12:46:46 EST »

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. The smart ones keep it to themselves until they test the room.

Thankfully I am here to tell everyone what opinion to possess.

I submit Queen's "I Want It All", and Pink Floyd's "One Slip" are tremendous. "On The Turning Away" is incredible.

Respect for rejecting Pearl Jam. I never got the Seattle stuff.

As for Skynyrd, give me the entire Second Helping album.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2024, 12:50:25 EST »

As for the list, it only needed to contain "Comfortably Numb", "Purple Rain", "Here Comes The Sun", and 12 Night Ranger songs. You're welcome.

Def Leppard's "Mirror, Mirror" and "White Lightening" could have made honorable mention.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2024, 04:15:57 EST »

As for the list, it only needed to contain "Comfortably Numb", "Purple Rain", "Here Comes The Sun", and 12 Night Ranger songs. You're welcome.

Def Leppard's "Mirror, Mirror" and "White Lightening" could have made honorable mention.

If you're going to bring Def Leppard into it, "Bringing on the Heartache" has to be mentioned.  Although the video did suck,but that should not detract from the greatness of the song.

10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2024, 04:40:56 EST »

Yawn?. RUSH?. What was the question?
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2024, 07:37:45 EST »

If you're going to bring Def Leppard into it, "Bringing on the Heartache" has to be mentioned.  Although the video did suck,but that should not detract from the greatness of the song.

That is an excellent tune.

10EC also makes a key point about the omission of post-"Bytor and the Snow Dog" Rush.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: