VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 01:16:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: aTm is going to be a tough win to get.  (Read 488 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2024, 07:23:24 EST »

We play them again at home also.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 07:38:21 EST »

Was speaking with one of the players at a concert Thursday night.  Besides being a great representative of the University and the team he stated that the practice that afternnon had been intense.

Dude has a degree in analytical Physics!
Way too much math for me.
Now pusuing a MBA
Discussed using education and jobs and wondered if he weould find a job in that area
I noted two things for him
1) The degree(s) get you in the door
2)What you do after you get in the door is more important
Told him how little I had actually used my EE degree in the field and what I actually practiced post of my post AF career (mostly mech and Aero)
Also, that finishing the MBA was very important for his long term growth (he knew that but is was worth repeating)

The conversation started when he asked about a cover of a Heart song that was being played (most likely Heart recorded it before he was born)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 07:45:39 EST »

I agree about the degree getting you in the door, but in some cases it does matter.  Case in point, the government funded two graduate degrees for me that really helped my career, and (IMHO) were good for my employer (that is, they got a return on the investment).

Having said that, I got the degrees after I was employed and so knew what skills to target. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 08:57:12 EST »

No matter what degree you have or no degree, a lot comes down to who you know and being at the right place at the right time. BTW...Hope the Vols come out intense and keep the hammer down.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 09:11:16 EST »

No matter what degree you have or no degree, a lot comes down to who you know and being at the right place at the right time. BTW...Hope the Vols come out intense and keep the hammer down.

Disagree.  You can't practice law, be a doctor or engineer, etc, without the right degree.

Although technically law does not require a degree in some states.  You just have to pass the Bar.  Good luck doing that without a degree though....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2024, 09:31:17 EST »

Every single job I took after military retirement was by networking
The wildest was an impression I made at my first duty station (WPAFB)
On a Friday afternoon I received a call from the company President who stated, "I hear you want to work for us"
Turns out, that as a young engineer he was the project engineer for a computer system (DEC 11 series) that his then company was building for us
Apparently I impressed him, even as a young, wet behind the ears ...

BTW Bandit, that system had a full 19" rack that did nothing but FFTs
Had to learn FORTRAN to do my job, good thing Wright State was nearby
BTW, for you modern programmers, I used IBM punch cards to program ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2024, 09:46:55 EST »

Disagree.  You can't practice law, be a doctor or engineer, etc, without the right degree.

Although technically law does not require a degree in some states.  You just have to pass the Bar.  Good luck doing that without a degree though....
One of the best "engineers" I worked with had a liberal arts degree.
He is the only one that figured out that I had learned PASCAL and had hacked their utility routines ...
(Borland (sp) was my friend)

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 12:53:22 EST »

Every single job I took after military retirement was by networking
The wildest was an impression I made at my first duty station (WPAFB)
On a Friday afternoon I received a call from the company President who stated, "I hear you want to work for us"
Turns out, that as a young engineer he was the project engineer for a computer system (DEC 11 series) that his then company was building for us
Apparently I impressed him, even as a young, wet behind the ears ...

BTW Bandit, that system had a full 19" rack that did nothing but FFTs
Had to learn FORTRAN to do my job, good thing Wright State was nearby
BTW, for you modern programmers, I used IBM punch cards to program ...

I started as a co-op in 1987.  At the time we had Vax mainframes, so I am well familiar with DEC products.  I actually liked the Vax, FWiW, and VMS was iMO a good OS.

For graphics, we had Textronix computers...the older ones had phosphorus screens that would light up with an eerie green glow, and you could see the plotting it was so slow.  It was like a computer you would see in a 50s Sci Fi movie.   

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 01:09:53 EST »

I started as a co-op in 1987.  At the time we had Vax mainframes, so I am well familiar with DEC products.  I actually liked the Vax, FWiW, and VMS was iMO a good OS.

For graphics, we had Textronix computers...the older ones had phosphorus screens that would light up with an eerie green glow, and you could see the plotting it was so slow.  It was like a computer you would see in a 50s Sci Fi movie.   
Same here at one time
I was given God privliedges on a Vax system one weekend (something to do with classification of data)
Only crashed it once, when I was scrubbing the memory. 
I agree on VMS, really easy to work with

In the same place we used DEC equipment, the mainframe computer was a Univac 1110, filled a HS gym sized room
Drum memory, lots of 7 and 9 track tape drives, etc.  Had a row of hard disks, 13 platter hard drive packs that stored a few megs and crashed, a LOT.
Ran on FORTRAN and all the terminals were dumb
Installed a front end comm computer that I swear who's only purpose was to say "Host down, site terminated" when the mainframe crashed

Those were the days

BTW, nowhere in my CV is there any reference to programming skills
Nothing good can come of adding that ....

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2024, 04:59:56 EST »

Why do you say that?

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2024, 05:09:40 EST »

Why do you say that?
because in the world I was in at the time that would have pigeon holed me into programming vs engineering

As it was I was part of teams that wrote mission data for certain systems as well
That was actually fun

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2024, 05:13:17 EST »

because in the world I was in at the time that would have pigeon holed me into programming vs engineering

As it was I was part of teams that wrote mission data for certain systems as well
That was actually fun

Okay point taken.  I assume you started in the mid to late 70s and I am about 10 years behind you. I did know some folks your age that were programmers, and they told me that in the 70s, programming was still a pretty rare skill and they were able to advance their careers really well due to programming skills.

When I started as a co-op in June 1987, there was a new hire that was hired in Jan of that year that was the first computer science major ever hired at MSFC.  Because it was still a new major at the time....lol.

10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2024, 11:33:46 EST »

Same here at one time
I was given God privliedges on a Vax system one weekend (something to do with classification of data)
Only crashed it once, when I was scrubbing the memory. 
I agree on VMS, really easy to work with

In the same place we used DEC equipment, the mainframe computer was a Univac 1110, filled a HS gym sized room
Drum memory, lots of 7 and 9 track tape drives, etc.  Had a row of hard disks, 13 platter hard drive packs that stored a few megs and crashed, a LOT.
Ran on FORTRAN and all the terminals were dumb
Installed a front end comm computer that I swear who's only purpose was to say "Host down, site terminated" when the mainframe crashed

Those were the days

Wonder how many kids today would even know what JCL stood for?

I worked in the UT computing center at the spam can for my grad degree.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: