VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 02:11:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Basevols 6, Texas Tech 2 FINAL  (Read 278 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2024, 05:10:36 EST »

Tales of our pitching staff's demise appear to have been greatly exaggerated.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 05:12:40 EST »

Germans!

Oh, that would be a reply to my post. Never mind. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 05:13:23 EST »

Tales of our pitching staff's demise appear to have been greatly exaggerated.
17Ks and 1 walk
Russell was fantastic

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 05:19:29 EST »

I just hate that we're in this tourney at least every other year, and it's only on PPV. These are usually the only meaningful OOC games we play until the postseason, and no one can watch them.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 05:30:01 EST »

I just hate that we're in this tourney at least every other year, and it's only on PPV. These are usually the only meaningful OOC games we play until the postseason, and no one can watch them.

All you have to do is sign up for FloBall or BallFlo or FloBaseBall, whatever it's called. It only costs $29.99 a month or $12.50 a month if you subscribe for a full year.

Whatever it is, I'm not buying it. Pun intended. I fear that the future of sports is pay per view, or pay per event.

The Iowa women's basketball game last night where Clark set the scoring record was on Peacock. I don't subscribe to Peacock and I don't intend to do so. And it's ridiculous that such an event was on Peacock. What if Hank Aaron's record breaking home run was on Peacock? Hell, cable didn't really exist back then. That game was on over the air TV. I think that sports TV is going to get even more expensive.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 07:56:24 EST »

Clay Travis is constantly ranting about how the ESPN model that has fueled all the ridiculous salaries is about to break, or slowly fading, take your pick.

It goes like this...ever since it was founded in 1980, the only way to get ESPN was to subscribe to a cable provider.  And ESPN, since a large fraction(30-40%)  of viewers routinely watched ESPN has been able to always command the (by far) largest carry fee.  Those subscribers were a big enough fraction to kill a carrier and would all (or most) threaten to quit if ESPN was not included.  Thus ESPN (Disney now...which is why ABC bought ESPN and then Disney bought ABC, or a big part of the reason), has always had a lot of leverage.

With a lot of viewers unplugging, that has changed.  The streaming model (i.e., viewers paying directly for ESPN +) cannot bring in the same revenue stream, because in this case the large fraction works against ESPN.  Do they have a huge viewership?  Yes.  Was it ever a huge majority or even a simple majority of all cable users?  No.

In other words, ESPN has been getting a lot of revenue from people who don't even watch it.  Streaming cannot make up the revenue ESPN currently gets from the big carriers.

Thus, they are experimenting with PPV.

The thing is, I don't think its going to work.  I don't know anyone willing to pay for Peacock +, not even for the NFL playoff game they put on it, let alone the Caitlan game.

Travis has speculated that sports are in a bubble due to ESPN getting (essentially) way more revenue than they can command in a more open market (which is what sports is moving to as the large carriers slowly fade away), and that it might pop.  An early sign might be the huge rounds of layoffs ESPN has done over the last few years.

I guess we will see what happens, but in at least the short term, I would anticipate more and more PPV

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: