VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 10:24:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arnett telling Joe Schad that UT won't release him to Michigan or MSU  (Read 14392 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 02:21:31 EST »

Guys, we have to hold everyone to the same set of rules and standards or it'll be mass anarchy!! Well, except Janzen Jackson, who gets 3 chances when everybody else would only get one!

EXACTLY.  The JJ situation says it all.  
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2011, 02:43:36 EST »

Guys, we have to hold everyone to the same set of rules and standards or it'll be mass anarchy!! Well, except Janzen Jackson, who gets 3 chances when everybody else would only get one!

That stuff about precedent is BS. Every situation is different. If it's about Arnett just wanting out and not about his dad, don't release him at all. Stop playing the BS childish conditional release games in a battle you cannot win in the court of public opinion.

But hey... We have to find a way to take up for everything these days I guess.

+1

Also, we are taking a beating PR wise and for what?  I don't see an upside to this, Arnett is gone regardless, so at the end of the day, all we get out of this is some bad publicity.
Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 04:33:36 EST »

What I don't understand is why specifically he wants UM and MSU? If its truly about hits dad, why not just go to the nearest available school? If what some of the things that I'm hearing about CCB are true, then there is a lot more out there than we know at the present time. Is it more about Baggett leaving and being homesick? If it true that MSU has contacted him already, against what the NCI says, then there are bigger problems. I agree that it doesn't look good on the surface, but when it all comes out we will have the big picture.

Lots have looked over that CDD did in fact grant a release, but just not to UM or MSU. He didn't even have to grant a release period until Arnett's first year was completed. Remember Bobby Bowden didn't release Brandon Warren to any school in the similar situation.

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 04:34:42 EST »

Talk about TOUCHY.  I was just suggesting that folks take a deep breath first.  But before I start PREACHING again....

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 05:58:04 EST »

We are not really denying him the opportunity to transfer, just to go to MSU or Michigan.  I am not sure why Dooley won't let anyone have a release to someone "we are recruiting against".  So what if we recruit against them?  Heck, letting them have Arnett may even mean they back off on a recruit this year.

The policy doesn't really make sense to me, but I also agree that if it means that much to Arnett he can get a loan.  At least MSU and Michigan are in-state tuition.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2011, 09:30:17 EST »

School policy doesn't matter. Consequences for Arnett's decision do not matter. His true intent doesn't matter.

What matters is that Tennessee will be slaughtered over this in the court of public opinion. If we were Alabama or LSU, maybe we could say "screw what everyone else thinks!!" Obviously we're not at that point right now.

Besides, there is such a thing as doing the right thing. Because maybe, just maybe, Arnett is telling the truth. Maybe he really does want to be closer to his very sick father — who probably won't live many more years — instead of being in school thousands of miles away and getting to see him only a few times each year. Are we really going to deny him that opportunity because it's our "policy"? Really?

You don't open yourself up to umpteen transfers in Dooley's situation. You think maybe he wants to discourage transferring in his situation?
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2011, 09:35:52 EST »

You don't open yourself up to umpteen transfers in Dooley's situation. You think maybe he wants to discourage transferring in his situation?

If we have "umpteen" people that want to transfer, we are in even more trouble than I thought.  NCAA requires you to sit out a year if you transfer, that deters about 99% of players that consider leaving.  Dickey even put restrictions on Nick Lamison when he transfered out.   This whole thing just makes him look petty.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 11:14:56 EST »

Who says you have to use a cookie cutter on each transfer request? I think that's a weak excuse.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2012, 02:03:16 EST »

Who says you have to use a cookie cutter on each transfer request? I think that's a weak excuse.
On the other hand, he opens himself up by not having a common standard to use in transfer situations.  Bottom line IMO is he is in an unwinnable situation no matter how he handles transfers.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2012, 08:26:01 EST »

Arnett has now added Notre Dame to his wish list. It's looking more and more like it has nothing to do with his dad if this is true.

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2012, 09:29:52 EST »

Arnett has now added Notre Dame to his wish list. It's looking more and more like it has nothing to do with his dad if this is true.

Notre Dame is only 88 miles farther from his home town than Western Michigan, a school that DD released him to.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: