VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 11:46:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should be another light week of film work  (Read 39074 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2012, 04:56:29 EDT »

Since Bray will only be watching the 4th.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 04:57:31 EDT »

I like the progression in this game much better than the last

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 05:00:35 EDT »

I like the progression in this game much better than the last

You can polish this turd all you want, it's flipping Akron. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 05:01:25 EDT »

We responded to adversity well this week

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 05:05:32 EDT »

You can polish this turd all you want, it's flipping Akron. 

This
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 05:05:49 EDT »

We responded to adversity well this week

Please, tell me you're joking.  Please.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 05:06:07 EDT »

It's a 21-point win 

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 05:06:35 EDT »

If this is adversity I wonder what next week will be?

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 05:07:35 EDT »

I hope Dooley saves this game film.  We may see these guys again in our bowl game.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 05:10:36 EDT »

I'm not, but I also don't give a shizzle what you or anyone else thinks about my opinion.

I'm done with this topic.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:52:50 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 05:46:29 EDT »

I'm, but I also don't give a shizzle what you or anyone else thinks about my opinion.

Wow. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 04:55:15 EDT »

I'm not, but I also don't give a shizzle what you or anyone else thinks about my opinion.

I changed my mind.  Saturday night I just got a little irritated, shouldn't just leave this hanging.

I think my irritation is due to a perception that you were starting to get annoyed at me because my opinion is different than yours.  You can get annoyed at the team or Dooley all you want, just don't get annoyed at me because I have a different opinion.  Maybe I misread and you may not have been annoyed at me, but you were definitely annoyed, and I just decided it was better not to continue the conversation at that  point.    

Whatever, my point is that we are much better this year.  How many times have we had a close game against Kentucky, Vandy, or a mid-major in the past and pulled it out?  Countless times.   Was this one really all that different? 

There's a lot more I could say.  Like that the team was down after the loss at Florida and started slow (but ramped it up when it counted).  That Akron under it's new coaches is much better this year (but we should still beat the crap out of them even if they go 10-2).  That our score wasn't really that much different than the UCF score when you allow for the defensive TD (but we should be better than UCF, but realistically are we?). And I could go on and on (oops too late!)

But let me make my point this way....was Akron worse than Kentucky last year playing a WR in the QB position?   And was this a better effort than that?  And is that progress?

Here's a key point.  None of the above means that I am really happy with our performance Saturday night.  It DID suck in any of number of ways.   I don't think it was quite as bad as some would make it, and I can cite reasons why, but the only thing that I really truly hated was the long run and two long drives by them that resulted in FGs.  The turnovers I can handle.  Every team has turnovers in every game.  It would not be the first or last time we had turnovers in a game against a greatly over-matched opponent.

The bottom line is that just because someone is looking at the positive side of things, does not mean he or she is not aware of the negatives.  There were plenty of those.  But on balance, I don't see last year's team pulling it out the way this one did.

I really think these players deserve some credit for the way they finished the game, and I am not going to apologize for that to any of the numerous fans who are upset because this game did not meet THEIR personal expectations.  I am perfectly entitled to my own opinion.

And NOW I am done with this topic  thread.   

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 02:43:29 EDT »

I'm not annoyed with you Bandit.  I enjoy your thorough and thoughtful posts.  We may not always agree, and that's ok.  It's all good, man!   
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 02:56:07 EDT »

let me interject....I thought at the beginning of the season we'd struggle with Akron. You can go back and see my 2012 prediction. I predicted UT 44  Akron 17. Now, I predicted 10 wins. I am scaling it back to 8 now, because I have seen UGA and we're not going to beat them, but it will be a close game. Also predicted we'd beat UF...so...

Reason being, I think we're improved. We have rushed for 690 yards so far, and I realize the gauntlet of the defenses is coming up...but we were much worse last year running, and that is a fact. We also rang up almost 700 yards offense on Akron - yes it's Akron but that is impressive. Bray missed two wide open TDs too. Also look closer at what Akron actually did. They were given a pick 6, a fumble for a FG, and scored on a long run which was a defensive bust. Other than that it was FGs, and they scored 3 in the second half. They had a gimmick offense that threw a lot, and got the ball out in a hurry. We played a lot of deep zone. McCullers hardly even played. Don't judge this defense on what they did against Akron. Remember Air force a few years back? These offense you see once a year are hard to prepare for....Akron came in with the 5th best passing offense in the country.

My point is, you have to look at each game case by case, and look at what this defense was built to stop. It was built to play against conventional offenses we see like Georgia and Bama. I don't think UGA covers the 15 point spread. In fact, I look for this game to be much more defensive than people are thinking. 24-17 type of game. Close. I don't think we will win, but we have beaten UGA before when no one thought we would.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 03:04:05 EDT by Volznut » Logged
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 04:59:00 EDT »

let me interject....I thought at the beginning of the season we'd struggle with Akron. You can go back and see my 2012 prediction. I predicted UT 44  Akron 17. Now, I predicted 10 wins. I am scaling it back to 8 now, because I have seen UGA and we're not going to beat them, but it will be a close game. Also predicted we'd beat UF...so...

Reason being, I think we're improved. We have rushed for 690 yards so far, and I realize the gauntlet of the defenses is coming up...but we were much worse last year running, and that is a fact. We also rang up almost 700 yards offense on Akron - yes it's Akron but that is impressive. Bray missed two wide open TDs too. Also look closer at what Akron actually did. They were given a pick 6, a fumble for a FG, and scored on a long run which was a defensive bust. Other than that it was FGs, and they scored 3 in the second half. They had a gimmick offense that threw a lot, and got the ball out in a hurry. We played a lot of deep zone. McCullers hardly even played. Don't judge this defense on what they did against Akron. Remember Air force a few years back? These offense you see once a year are hard to prepare for....Akron came in with the 5th best passing offense in the country.

My point is, you have to look at each game case by case, and look at what this defense was built to stop. It was built to play against conventional offenses we see like Georgia and Bama. I don't think UGA covers the 15 point spread. In fact, I look for this game to be much more defensive than people are thinking. 24-17 type of game. Close. I don't think we will win, but we have beaten UGA before when no one thought we would.

You are using logic, which doesn't appear to be accepted these days.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 05:01:13 EDT »

You are using logic, which doesn't appear to be accepted these days.

Logic or supposition? As opposed to facts, which say that Derek Dooley has never beaten a ranked team... the next time will be the first. Enough with "improvement"... show me some wins over somebody that matters.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 05:12:06 EDT »

Logic or supposition? As opposed to facts, which say that Derek Dooley has never beaten a ranked team... the next time will be the first. Enough with "improvement"... show me some wins over somebody that matters.
That wasn't the discussion under review.  Have a good day.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 05:13:24 EDT »

That wasn't the discussion under review.  Have a good day.

It goes to the very heart of the discussion.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 05:51:49 EDT »

Winning SEC ballgames is the bottom line, period.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 06:28:38 EDT »

I don't disagree with you guys, but there is a very good chance we go 4-4 in the SEC this year.

Which, whatever else you think, is massively better than 1-7 when the only win is in OT vs. Vandy, no?

Do you really think we should go from 5-7 and losing to vandy to 11-1 overnight?  Or even 9-3, which is what you wanted Revolver.

Maybe, if UF was as bad as you expected them to be.  But what if they win the East, or even come close to it?  Is 8-4 then acceptable? 

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 06:37:36 EDT »

You didn't ask me but I think 8-4 would be acceptable!
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 08:21:59 EDT »

I don't disagree with you guys, but there is a very good chance we go 4-4 in the SEC this year.

Which, whatever else you think, is massively better than 1-7 when the only win is in OT vs. Vandy, no?

Do you really think we should go from 5-7 and losing to vandy to 11-1 overnight?  Or even 9-3, which is what you wanted Revolver.

Maybe, if UF was as bad as you expected them to be.  But what if they win the East, or even come close to it?  Is 8-4 then acceptable? 

If they don't beat anybody of note, I don't care.

I can't state it any more plainly. The man is 0-fer vs. ranked teams. I don't care what he started with, this is the year that progress has to show. Progress isn't about the press conference, it's about closing the deal on the field. I've said it since Kentucky last year. All the man has to do is beat somebody and I will back off. Until he does, every week that passes makes me think he's the wrong guy even more than I did the week before.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 08:56:55 EDT »

It goes to the very heart of the discussion.
whatever.
I'n not into discussing biases.
When you are willing to discuss the team, as opposed to your emotional preconceived bias against the coaching staff we can continue. Till then there isn't much for us to discuss.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 08:58:29 EDT »

whatever.
I'n not into discussing biases.
When you are willing to discuss the team, as opposed to your emotional preconceived bias against the coaching staff we can continue. Till then there isn't much for us to discuss.
BTW, look at my posts from 3+ years ago.  I still haven't changed my position since then.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 09:00:09 EDT »

I hope Dooley saves this game film.  We may see these guys again in our bowl game.

BOWL GAME! Don't talk to me about a bowl game!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: