VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 01:44:19 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aw screw it. Here's what I think....  (Read 16115 times)
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 09:03:47 EST »

I thought it was December 22?   

SMH...everyone knows the Mayan calendar ends on 12/21...they have to announce before that.
HuntsVOL
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 09:09:41 EST »

Hey guys and gals...  One thing that no one seems to be discussing is the supposed offer on the table that Arkansas has for Gruden.  Has he come out and declined it yet?  I haven't seen
anything that he has, but might have missed it...  ok, carry on... 
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 09:11:58 EST »

Arkansas is a toilet...you can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig.  He may go to USC or some other good job if he doesnt come here, but I don't think arkey is even in the race. 

101stDad
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 09:13:59 EST »

Arkansas is a toilet...you can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig.  He may go to USC or some other good job if he doesnt come here, but I don't think arkey is even in the race. 

It may be a toilet, but with the Wally World and Tyson Chicken big money supporters they can pay more than we can right now. 

If it's about money with Gruden, Arkansas will win that one. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 09:16:04 EST »

It may be a toilet, but with the Wally World and Tyson Chicken big money supporters they can pay more than we can right now. 

If it's about money with Gruden, Arkansas will win that one. 

If 100,000 Vol fans contribute $500 each, that would be $50 million.  More than enough to do ANYTHING, really.

Who wants to sign up for that?  I would, if I thought it would get us back to the top 15 year in year out.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 09:34:18 EST »

I don't think money is all that matters to Gruden.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 10:04:55 EST »

If Gruden is hired, it's hard to imagine him as more than a short-term fix. If he's successful within 2-4 years, the NFL will throw unbelievably large wads of cash his way.  Of course, even a short-term fix is better than no fix.

This is true but his buyout will be massive. I guarantee it.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 10:06:12 EST »

If Gruden is hired, it's hard to imagine him as more than a short-term fix. If he's successful within 2-4 years, the NFL will throw unbelievably large wads of cash his way.  Of course, even a short-term fix is better than no fix.

If he wants back in the NFL, there are going to be plenty of marquee jobs opening THIS year.  Dallas, Philly, Cleveland, San Diego, and more.  I'd say that any of those organizations would throw the kitchen sink at Gruden if they thought they could get him.  And he may yet end up going that route.  But I don't think so.  

101stDad
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 10:07:42 EST »

This is true but his buyout will be massive. I guarantee it.

Agreed.  With the way Hamilton screwed buy outs out royally during his tenure, I have a hard time seeing Hart make the same mistake.  If, and this is a big if, Gruden is serious about coming to UT, then he will have to agree to a big buyout from his end if he wants to be paid the huge money.  

That said, I still don't see it happening with Gruden.  
101stDad
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 10:08:25 EST »

If he wants back in the NFL, there are going to be plenty of marquee jobs opening THIS year.  Dallas, Philly, Cleveland, San Diego, and more.  I'd say that any of those organizations would throw the kitchen sink at Gruden if they thought they could get him.  And he may yet end up going that route.  But I don't think so.  

I look for Philly and Cleveland to each throw about $7-8 million at him and see what happens 
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 11:02:49 EST »

I look for Philly and Cleveland to each throw about $7-8 million at him and see what happens 

From everything he's told me, he does not like cold weather cities. I don't care if it is all in my head.
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 11:41:42 EST »

Every negotiation represents the balance of power between the parties.  In regards of leverage, etc.  Right now, Gruden has all the leverage relative to UT.  If Gruden wants to be paid more than his current multi-million per year contract with ESPN, he has the leverage to demand it from UT (certainly given the pro teams and Arkansas that  are rumored to want him).

Also, I don't expect a huge  buyout. Because it is in Gruden's best interests to have a reasonable buyout, but not a huge one.  A huge buyout wouldn't benefit him because he may want to coach pro ball in 4-5 years.  And UT should feel comfortable without a huge buyout, because the only way this works out is if the relationship stays mutually strong.  If either UT or Gruden eventually don't want each other, a contractual buy out is a poor way to keep the relationship intact.  And a non-huge buyout could benefit UT if Gruden doesn't live up to the hype.  

Good luck in your coaching quest.

Creek Walker
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2012, 12:12:48 EST »

A month ago I was scoffing at UT fans who thought Gruden would be the next coach.

I'm no longer scoffing. The delusional ones now are likely the ones who think Gruden has no interest in the job.

I still think the most likely outcome is that he stays in the broadcast booth. But if he returns to coaching I think he's UT-bound.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2012, 02:16:16 EST »

I never said Gruden would not be coach, just that he would not be coach at mid-season.  I think many realized this after some of the initial excitement wore off, but even then, I didn't think Dooley would get the axe until near the end of the season, and hey, that part was right.  maybe I'm just a good guesser this one time.

My current guess is that Gruden might be our coach.  His name certainly was being circulated earlier in the season. I heard the rumors myself first-hand at the Letterman's Club.  I have speculated that it might have been convenient to drop the name of a popular choice for coach that is highly unlikely to leave ESPN just to pacify the fan base for a while and buy time.   That's 100% pulled from my arse...I don't make any claim that it absolutely is so, or whatever, but at the time it seemed the only way to explain all the rumors.

Water under the bridge...but maybe he will be the coach...now, after Dooley finally removed any doubt whatever and made his firing inevitable.  Who knows, maybe he called that fake punt because he knows he isn't up to it and wanted to make it that much easier for Hart.  Or he's just a idjut.

Regardless....I would not be terribly surprised if Gruden is the coach.  I do think it's not the likeliest outcome though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 02:24:23 EST »

Dooley really screwed things up by not making a bowl.  The plan was for tge new coach to coach the bowl game, I think.  Would've been valuable time with new coach and the team.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 02:27:47 EST »

Dooley really screwed things up by not making a bowl.  The plan was for tge new coach to coach the bowl game, I think.  Would've been valuable time with new coach and the team.

Agree

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 02:29:02 EST »

Amen to that

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2012, 02:57:56 EST »

If 100,000 Vol fans contribute $500 each, that would be $50 million.  More than enough to do ANYTHING, really.

Who wants to sign up for that?  I would, if I thought it would get us back to the top 15 year in year out.   

Nobody is on board with this?  Heck, if you get two season tickets at cover price, for 7 home games, that's about $1000 dollars even without a donation (assuming a $70 ticket price).

So it's just another measly $500!  Come on, people.

All you people wanting Gruden...just start a website where fans pledge even $100 to augment his salary.  With just 10,000 donors you can give him a $1 million bonus.  Can't be that hard! 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2012, 03:20:42 EST »

Nobody is on board with this?  Heck, if you get two season tickets at cover price, for 7 home games, that's about $1000 dollars even without a donation (assuming a $70 ticket price).

So it's just another measly $500!  Come on, people.

All you people wanting Gruden...just start a website where fans pledge even $100 to augment his salary.  With just 10,000 donors you can give him a $1 million bonus.  Can't be that hard! 

If I thought that's what was necessary to get him, I probably would.  But, not necessary.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: