VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 12:44:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your fav beach in Florida?  (Read 18118 times)
Quasi EVol
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 03:54:53 EST »

Welcome Phil. Are you another member of the Powell Mafia?

1st rule of the Pal Mafia is don't talk about the Pal Mafia.
101stDad
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 03:34:46 EST »

1st rule of the Pal Mafia is don't talk about the Pal Mafia.

Watch it, buddy.  If you get out of line I will have to send The Big Pussy Paulie Walnuts Pirate after you.  
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:37:28 EST by 101stDad » Logged
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 02:11:12 EST »

Guess I am one of those rare folks who like the East coast of Florida better than the Gulf side.  

Me too..................................My wife likes the gulf, while i love the Daytona area.  We always vacationed there when i was a kid, or Gasparilla Island just above Naples.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:20:30 EST by ChattanoogaVol » Logged

Go Big Orange.
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 03:21:54 EST »

The beaches at the Plantation on Amelia Island, FL
PanhandleVol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 05:56:05 EST »

with the tin roof cottages. And here's a tip............Don't come here from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I realize many people do because of the kids being out of school. Living here I prefer the climate of October and even November. The days are beautiful with highs of 65-75 degrees and the evenings are cool with lows in the 50's. The water is still warm enough for swimming and the crowds are gone. I have some contacts in the resort business. Send me a message and I may be able to get you a deal.   
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 04:09:04 EST »

I may be able to get you a deal.   

Music to Vinnie's ears.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 05:32:45 EST »

Music to Vinnie's ears.

Lol, su.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 08:02:19 EST »

Cape San Blas. Near Port St Joe & Panama City. It had a dog friendly beach. Quiet, "family" atmosphere. Beautiful, I thought.
Navol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 08:33:33 EST »

The beaches at the Plantation on Amelia Island, FL

Great spot, I agree; but if you're going there, come down another 40 miles to St. Augustine; we've got miles of really beautiful beach here, and lots of nice restaurants (not to mention history out the wazoo)

101stDad
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 10:50:13 EST »

Great spot, I agree; but if you're going there, come down another 40 miles to St. Augustine; we've got miles of really beautiful beach here, and lots of nice restaurants (not to mention history out the wazoo)

So, is that an invitation to stay at your house?   
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 10:53:00 EST »

My brother lives on the plantation.  We usually make the trip to St Augustine when we visit. You are correct,  Beautiful area, great restaurants.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 11:02:36 EST »

I lived 15 miles from St. Augustine in the 70's....My favorite beach and town on the Atlantic side.
Navol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 01:06:58 EST »

So, is that an invitation to stay at your house?   

The latch string is always out; however call ahead, so we can disarm the security system!

CONSIGLIEREG8R
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 03:12:27 EST »

Having lived in Miami and gone to Keys a bunch, wife's family had a place south of St. Augustine and gone to law school in St. Pete and knowing those beaches as well  >>>The best is around SR 30A in Walton County. Not really many condo's just rental houses.  Also check San Destin.  You can thank me later.  Destin is great, water is beautiful but a little more built up. 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2013, 03:44:57 EST »

Having lived in Miami and gone to Keys a bunch, wife's family had a place south of St. Augustine and gone to law school in St. Pete and knowing those beaches as well  >>>The best is around SR 30A in Walton County. Not really many condo's just rental houses.  Also check San Destin.  You can thank me later.  Destin is great, water is beautiful but a little more built up. 

Yep...Been going to Sand Destin for years....I had a time share for several years when it was just getting developed....Unreal how it has boomed over the last 25-30 years. Actually IMO its over-developed for the beach space they have ownership for.
chemosabe
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2013, 04:18:36 EST »

Our hotels have been upgraded since the hurricanes, with two really good ones (Gloria Estefan's Costa d'Este and the nearby Vero Beach Hotel ), we also now have quite a few good restaurants. Our fishing is still as good as ever, as well as kayaking, golf or just hanging out on the beach. We occasionally have waves if you surf, though you may need to go to the inlets to find a reliable break.

Night life leaves a bit to be desired. We have nice bars to get a drink and listen to live music but no real night clubs to speak of.

I love living here.
101stDad
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2013, 04:57:31 EST »

Our hotels have been upgraded since the hurricanes, with two really good ones (Gloria Estefan's Costa d'Este and the nearby Vero Beach Hotel ), we also now have quite a few good restaurants. Our fishing is still as good as ever, as well as kayaking, golf or just hanging out on the beach. We occasionally have waves if you surf, though you may need to go to the inlets to find a reliable break.

Night life leaves a bit to be desired. We have nice bars to get a drink and listen to live music but no real night clubs to speak of.

I love living here.

So, what, if anything, is Dodgertown used for now that the Dodgers have moved their spring training to Arizona? 
chemosabe
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2013, 07:32:45 EST »

Dodgertown is being used for travel team baseball tournaments, umpire school for MLB, a few colleges use it for "retreats" etc. It is also being used to film some sports related "reality" shows.

A month ago there was some sort of show about former NFL quarterbacks training to become baseball pitchers. Flutie, Booty and a few others were there. I do not know who won, but the winner gets to pitch an inning in a Spring Game for the Arizona cardinals.

It is a shame we no longer have Spring Training here. Dodgertown was a great venue from a fan's perspective. Small stadium, no dug outs..you could reach over the fence and pat your favorite player on the back.

One of the managers once told me they were worried about a madman coming in with a gun and killing people because the stadium is so open there is no way to have "proper security". I told him not to worry because this is Vero Beach. It is one of the most armed communities in the country; 2/3 of the people here are packing..any shooter would be brought down by the people in the stands before his third shot.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2013, 07:47:36 EST »

A month ago there was some sort of show about former NFL quarterbacks training to become baseball pitchers. Flutie, Booty and a few others were there. I do not know who won, but the winner gets to pitch an inning in a Spring Game for the Arizona cardinals.

Josh Booty won it. Also competing was John David Booty, Doug Flutie, David Greene and Ryan Perrilloux. I watched one episode. I don't think any of them would last an inning in the majors. But David Greene still has a pretty good arm, just not a good knuckleball.

101stDad
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2013, 07:47:46 EST »

Dodgertown is being used for travel team baseball tournaments, umpire school for MLB, a few colleges use it for "retreats" etc. It is also being used to film some sports related "reality" shows.

It is a shame we no longer have Spring Training here. Dodgertown was a great venue from a fan's perspective. Small stadium, no dug outs..you could reach over the fence and pat your favorite player on the back.

One of the managers once told me they were worried about a madman coming in with a gun and killing people because the stadium is so open there is no way to have "proper security". I told him not to worry because this is Vero Beach. It is one of the most armed communities in the country; 2/3 of the people here are packing..any shooter would be brought down by the people in the stands before his third shot.

Yep.  By far it was my favorite spring training venue to visit, and I pretty much detest the Dodgers - always have and always will.  Dodgertown had character, unlike most of the newer spring training venues.  
101stDad
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2013, 07:50:33 EST »

Josh Booty won it. Also competing was John David Booty, Doug Flutie, David Greene and Ryan Perrilloux. I watched one episode. I don't think any of them would last an inning in the majors. But David Greene still has a pretty good arm, just not a good knuckleball.

David Green and David Pollack were childhood friends, team mates, and future roomies, you know.  I think Verne Lundquist might have mentioned that a time or two.   
chemosabe
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2013, 10:37:49 EST »

Didn't Booty play college baseball?

I never saw the show, was not even aware of when it was on. They were all pretty serious about not telling anyone who won though. The manager is one of my patients and I ran into her in a local restaurant eating lunch with Booty and D Flutie. That is how I found out about it.
101stDad
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2013, 10:46:29 EST »

Didn't Booty play college baseball?

I never saw the show, was not even aware of when it was on. They were all pretty serious about not telling anyone who won though. The manager is one of my patients and I ran into her in a local restaurant eating lunch with Booty and D Flutie. That is how I found out about it.

Josh Booty was the 5th overall pick in the first round out of high school by the Marlins.  He spent 4-5 years in minor league baseball, had a so so minor league career.  If memory serves, he was a September call up in 97 (or whichever year it was the Marlins won the world series before selling off all of its decent players).   I don't think he was on the active roster during the series. 

After his baseball career fizzled, he went to LSU to play football.  I think he played there for Dinardo. 

Doug Flutie spent part of his youth in Melbourne Beach, by the way, but you probably knew that.  Melbourne Beach is where Mrs. 101st and I hang out a lot and plan to retire in. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: