VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 10:01:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Adams swings and nails Fulmer squarely on the jaw  (Read 42137 times)
Creek Walker
« on: August 19, 2013, 02:37:32 EDT »

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/aug/18/john-adams-phillip-fulmer-needs-to-look-in-a/

I think he's right. I hate it that we're even on this subject 5 years later, but for it to be let go, Fulmer has to let it go...and he hasn't yet.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:53:27 EDT »

Sigh.  I'm a big Fulmer fan, but I wish he would just stop saying things like that.  No single person should get all the blame; Fulmer, Hammy, and others all played some part.  I don't like Majors taking his jabs either.   
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 02:57:39 EDT »

Damn...we need to concentrate on 2013...not Fulmer.  There was no need for John Adams to even write that piece, it is ancient history now.  Onward...to the future please...FFW  FFW  FFW  FFW

Go Big Orange.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 02:59:39 EDT »

Damn...we need to concentrate on 2013...not Fulmer.  There was no need for John Adams to even write that piece, it is ancient history now.  Onward...to the future please...FFW  FFW  FFW  FFW

The whole point is it isn't ancient history. Fulmer made these remarks just a few days ago, which prompted the piece from Adams.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 03:02:57 EDT »

The whole point is it isn't ancient history. Fulmer made these remarks just a few days ago, which prompted the piece from Adams.

Do we know what prompted Fulmer to make those remarks?  I admit I didn't read the whole thing from Fulmer this morning, but did some guy just start asking him leading questions?  Or did Fulmer call somebody up and say "I got some things I wanna say."

Guess it doesn't matter much either way, Fulmer still needs to get over it.  Still think a lot of him, but this kind of stuff bugs me.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 03:07:41 EDT »

So what...what do you personally care, or why should it bother you??  We all know what Phil done for UT, and how it all ended...and who cares what that GIANT PIECE OF ELEPHANT DUNG John Adams THINKS ANYWAY???    You can keep rehashing this shizzle all you want, but why??  It's over and done...move on.

Go Big Orange.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 03:20:08 EDT »

It also bugs me that John Adams surely fell all over himself cranking out that little piece.  He just sits there and waits for the chance to rehash all of Fulmer's bad moments.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 03:47:42 EDT »

Fulmer has pointed his finger everywhere but at himself. He brought this up again and Adams responded in kind.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 04:08:29 EDT »

Adams is a columnist; it's his job to have an opinion.  Fulmer told the truth, but not the whole truth, and Adams took that high hanging curve and hit it out of the park.

That said, we should be smarter than to fall for his schtick, especially at this point in time.  For the past 9 months, I've seen a fanbase that has been fractured for nearly a decade start to become united again.  Why rehash the past now, less than two weeks before a new era begins?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 04:10:14 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

101stDad
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 04:17:42 EDT »

Do we know what prompted Fulmer to make those remarks?  I admit I didn't read the whole thing from Fulmer this morning, but did some guy just start asking him leading questions?  Or did Fulmer call somebody up and say "I got some things I wanna say."

Guess it doesn't matter much either way, Fulmer still needs to get over it.  Still think a lot of him, but this kind of stuff bugs me.

Yes.  This is what Adams was responding to:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/08/phillip_fulmer_says_administra.html#incart_river_default
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 04:37:07 EDT »

Adams is a columnist; it's his job to have an opinion.  Fulmer told the truth, but not the whole truth, and Adams took that high hanging curve and hit it out of the park.

That said, we should be smarter than to fall for his schtick, especially at this point in time.  For the past 9 months, I've seen a fanbase that has been fractured for nearly a decade start to become united again.  Why rehash the past now, less than two weeks before a new era begins?

It tells me a lot about Fulmer IMO.....He could have declined an interview and said it's time to move on and support the new coach and the program.....He didn't and it's downright pitiful in my book.
Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 05:31:36 EDT »

So what...what do you personally care, or why should it bother you??  We all know what Phil done for UT, and how it all ended...and who cares what that GIANT PIECE OF ELEPHANT DUNG John Adams THINKS ANYWAY???    You can keep rehashing this shizzle all you want, but why??  It's over and done...move on.

I posted the link here because I thought it was interesting. I didn't say it bothered me. If it bothers you so much, I think probably the best thing for you to do is ignore stuff like this and focus on the season at hand.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 05:50:40 EDT »

Fulmer's success during his tenure as HC was because of Chief and coach Cutcliffe.
They were the glue that held the team together and they got the most out of the great players that Fulmer recruited.
Fulmer got a lot of great players from all over especially the state of South Carolina but when the ol' ball coach went to USC all of that talent we were getting started to dry up and when Fulmer promoted Sanders to OC,that was the beginning of slippery slope off the cliff for Fulmer.
The offense under Sanders fell from top ten material to over 100th worst in the nation in 2005,while the defense under Chief was always at or near the top ten statistically.
When Coach Cut came back in 2006 he turned the offense back around but when he left after 2 yrs it went right back in the ground with Clawson.
Fulmer stayed with Sanders way too long and the offensive woes between Sanders and Clawson and two losing seasons in four years did him in.
Fulmer needs to shut up,man up and accept the fact that he is the one responsible for losing his job
Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 06:10:18 EDT »

Fulmer's success during his tenure as HC was because of Chief and coach Cutcliffe.
They were the glue that held the team together and they got the most out of the great players that Fulmer recruited.
Fulmer got a lot of great players from all over especially the state of South Carolina but when the ol' ball coach went to USC all of that talent we were getting started to dry up and when Fulmer promoted Sanders to OC,that was the beginning of slippery slope off the cliff for Fulmer.
The offense under Sanders fell from top ten material to over 100th worst in the nation in 2005,while the defense under Chief was always at or near the top ten statistically.
When Coach Cut came back in 2006 he turned the offense back around but when he left after 2 yrs it went right back in the ground with Clawson.
Fulmer stayed with Sanders way too long and the offensive woes between Sanders and Clawson and two losing seasons in four years did him in.
Fulmer needs to shut up,man up and accept the fact that he is the one responsible for losing his job

A friend and I were having this conversation yesterday. My argument, which I know is not something many UT fans will agree with, is that Sanders got a bad rap. He called the '98 BCS national championship game, and was a step away from calling another BCSNCG in 2001. The 2000 and 2004 teams were pretty darned good, and the '02 and '03 teams weren't bad. Granted, a lot of that was due to outstanding defenses, but I'm still of the opinion that Sanders was a better coach than he was given credit for. At the end of the day, I still believe he was a scapegoat.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 07:13:24 EDT »

IMO..Sanders should have never been named OC to begin with..He was a former UT qb that was moved up from running backs coach to OC after Coach Cut left for Ole Miss.
Fulmer filled that spot by staying within the "family" with a young unproven former Vol qb and it back fired on him and he was too stubborn to make the change till his own job was put on the line in 2005.
Sanders was no "scapegoat" the offense sucked with him as OC.The defense was good enough to keep them in games that he found a way to lose on several occasions.Even Coach Cut said in 2006 that the first thing he noticed about Eric Ainge was his mechanics were all wrong and we all saw what a change Ainge and the offense made in 2006 when Cut came back and sanders was gone.
He always put the games on the shoulders of the qb's and coached like it was a chess match instead obvious running situations even when the other teams defenses were gassed.
I remember the year after winning the NC and playing Nebraska in the bowl game..UT had the ball at mid field 3rd and very short,whats Sanders call? Tee Martin in the shotgun runs a qb draw and gets stopped way short..To get a half yard,he makes his qb run a draw 5 yrs deep in the back field.
We punt,Nebraska gets the ball same situation,they run the obvious qb sneak under center and they get the 1st down and go on to score and end up winning the game.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 01:09:36 EDT »

I can already see that this thread is going to give me a migraine. 

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 01:35:03 EDT »

Well, it's obvious that Adams can call this article a success.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 02:36:57 EDT »

After simmering on it a bit more, I just chalk it up to Adams' shtick, his game and agenda.  This is how he gets clicks and reads.  So in the words of Ainge, I'm gonna give Adams a "bless his heart", set it down, and keep me eyes on the excitement that is to come.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 02:40:57 EDT »

Yeah that's the one I said I didnt read in it's entirety.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 03:20:57 EDT »

You could sense that the fanbase was ready to re-embrace both Fulmer and Majors as players and coaches who gave their all for Tennessee. The Fulmer haters had stopped griping for the most part and Majors's face was popping up quite a bit in conjunction with the program. Both coaches said good things about Butch and the direction of the program. It had a very, very good feel.

If you're Adams, who has made a career riling up fans to increase readership, where's the fun in that? And so this article comes out. That's really all there is to it. Is he right that Fulmer doesn't accept enough blame? Of course he is. Fulmer is a proud man and may never acknowledge that his termination was his own doing. Did Majors ever acknowledge the same? I'm not sure he did. And how many of us would?

Successful people are often too proud to acknowledge their failures. That's not news. That's why I'm disappointed that so many people have taken Adams's bait on this one. This is a non-story.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

101stDad
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 03:33:28 EDT »

You could sense that the fanbase was ready to re-embrace both Fulmer and Majors as players and coaches who gave their all for Tennessee. The Fulmer haters had stopped griping for the most part and Majors's face was popping up quite a bit in conjunction with the program. Both coaches said good things about Butch and the direction of the program. It had a very, very good feel.

If you're Adams, who has made a career riling up fans to increase readership, where's the fun in that? And so this article comes out. That's really all there is to it. Is he right that Fulmer doesn't accept enough blame? Of course he is. Fulmer is a proud man and may never acknowledge that his termination was his own doing. Did Majors ever acknowledge the same? I'm not sure he did. And how many of us would?

Successful people are often too proud to acknowledge their failures. That's not news. That's why I'm disappointed that so many people have taken Adams's bait on this one. This is a non-story.

We've been all around this issue, and I have been very outspoken on Fulmer.  I'm not his fan.  But, yes, I have pretty much let it die to this point. 

But to point a finger at Adams is just shooting the messenger, as far as I see it.  If Fulmer would just learn to issue a no comment on these kinds of things the John Adams' of the media world wouldn't keep writing about it.  And what makes this one even more controversial is that he made the comments to the Alabama media.  This is a news story.  Fulmer made it one. 

Fulmer won a lot of games, but he lost his job because of Phillip Fulmer's decisions, not who was or wasn't the UT president at the time.  As long as Fulmer continues the blame game and continues to publicly comment about it it will be news. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 03:43:38 EDT »

We've been all around this issue, and I have been very outspoken on Fulmer.  I'm not his fan.  But, yes, I have pretty much let it die to this point. 

But to point a finger at Adams is just shooting the messenger, as far as I see it.  If Fulmer would just learn to issue a no comment on these kinds of things the John Adams' of the media world wouldn't keep writing about it.  And what makes this one even more controversial is that he made the comments to the Alabama media.  This is a news story.  Fulmer made it one. 

Fulmer won a lot of games, but he lost his job because of Phillip Fulmer's decisions, not who was or wasn't the UT president at the time.  As long as Fulmer continues the blame game and continues to publicly comment about it it will be news. 

I'm not pointing the finger at Adams. He's looking for web hits and paper sales. Did he write an article on a complete non-story? Sure he did, but he knew it would stir the shizzle and it has. I can't fault him for doing what he does. That's his job.

It's not a news story. There is not a THING that is new about this. Why is anyone at all surprised that Fulmer-- for the 1,000th time-- doesn't want to take the blame for the program's dip late in his tenure? He never has and I'm sure he never will. I'll repeat that I don't think Majors did either. Who cares?

John Adams is an old-school troll, and the UT fanbase has been his target for many years. We all just need to let the Fulmer story go away, whether he continues to answer questions about it or not. It's been over for a long, long time.

SMH at this fanbase. First the uniforms and now another Fulmer debate. It's embarrassing.

Creek Walker
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 03:54:31 EDT »

SMH at this fanbase. First the uniforms and now another Fulmer debate. It's embarrassing.

It's a discussion. Nothing more, nothing less. Something there hasn't been a whole lot of on this forum recently. I'm pretty sure most logical people can discuss something without getting so caught up that they lose sight of what's at hand.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 03:58:48 EDT »

It's a discussion. Nothing more, nothing less. Something there hasn't been a whole lot of on this forum recently. I'm pretty sure most logical people can discuss something without getting so caught up that they lose sight of what's at hand.

A senseless discussion that has no resolution and no ground gained by either side, ever. And people get worked up about it, every single time. I just don't get it. People need to stop looking for apologies or concessions from Fulmer. It's not happening.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 04:16:24 EDT »

A senseless discussion that has no resolution and no ground gained by either side, ever. And people get worked up about it, every single time. I just don't get it.
Yeah, like that's unusual for any message board on the planet.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: