VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 09:04:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just got a tweet...Kiffin to bammer!  (Read 16424 times)
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 07:10:28 EST »

what BDV said, times a million.

Who cares about this dork? I'm not losing any sleep over him, not worth my time. I love that Saban hired him, he is starting to look like he's in a desperate spot if you ask me. The pressure to maintain the façade of greatness he's had sure seems to be clouding his judgment

11B4PJ3F7
Creek Walker
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 09:08:49 EST »

I think a lot of you just look at Saban as some kind of omnipotent God-like figure who is incapable of making mistakes, and think that if he sees something in Kiffin, then there must really be something there under the empty visor.  But I remind you again- Saban also hired Derek Dooley and Will Muschamp, and those guys aren't exactly coaching legends in the making.  But apparently Saban saw something in them.  Saban was dead wrong.

Dooley's and Muschamp's inabilities as head coaches detracts nothing from their inabilities as assistants. Dooley was a good enough assistant that the Dolphins and the Cowboys both wanted him, and Muschamp could name his job as a DC right now — including, apparently, at Tennessee since a lot of UT fans were ready to give him a blank check to replace Janzek if Florida had fired him.

BDV, I always like your posts but I just think that if anyone's judgment is being clouded here, it is the UT fans who are suddenly convinced that Kiffin is a terrible coach rather than Saban's. I hope he does do irreparable harm to the Alabama program. In 24 hours I've gone from being someone who generally pulled for Alabama in a lot of games that had no impact on UT to being someone who will root loudly against them every time they take the field. And, as I noted earlier, there's a chance this turns out poorly for Alabama. But there's also a chance this turns out very well for Alabama. Anyone who pretends to be able to say unequivocally that they know this was a terrible hire (or a good hire) is doing just that -- they're pretending.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 09:13:54 EST »

I see Kiffin as a good hire FOR BAMA. He is great recruiter, he has a good offensive mind to be an effective OC. He is obviously very good at handling young QB's. I think this is the main reason they hired him. They will be breaking in new QB's and he fits the bill perfectly. Plus from what I saw at UT, the kids really liked to play for him. I for one liked the swagger he brought to UT. But that's about it. The slime factor also figures in.

I am fairly sure that Simms their 2nd string QB is either a senior or at least a junior.  This isn't the first time that Bama has had to replace a senior QB.  They had to do it when McElroy graduated and AJ took over...which turned out well, so they obivously know how to do it. I don't see this hire being to help with the QB transition.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 09:50:32 EST »

Dooley's and Muschamp's inabilities as head coaches detracts nothing from their inabilities as assistants. Dooley was a good enough assistant that the Dolphins and the Cowboys both wanted him, and Muschamp could name his job as a DC right now — including, apparently, at Tennessee since a lot of UT fans were ready to give him a blank check to replace Janzek if Florida had fired him.

BDV, I always like your posts but I just think that if anyone's judgment is being clouded here, it is the UT fans who are suddenly convinced that Kiffin is a terrible coach rather than Saban's. I hope he does do irreparable harm to the Alabama program. In 24 hours I've gone from being someone who generally pulled for Alabama in a lot of games that had no impact on UT to being someone who will root loudly against them every time they take the field. And, as I noted earlier, there's a chance this turns out poorly for Alabama. But there's also a chance this turns out very well for Alabama. Anyone who pretends to be able to say unequivocally that they know this was a terrible hire (or a good hire) is doing just that -- they're pretending.

OK, let's put it this way: If any of our OTHER rivals had made this hire; Muschamp, Richt, Miles, whomever; do you think there would be nearly as much of this "That could be a great hire for them" sentiment as I'm seeing from UT boards and even national media (Chris Low, to name one) today?  Of course there wouldn't.  Some people just believe Saban can do wrong.  But when it comes to hiring assistants, his record is spotty at best, and that's a fact.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 10:23:32 EST »

OK, let's put it this way: If any of our OTHER rivals had made this hire; Muschamp, Richt, Miles, whomever; do you think there would be nearly as much of this "That could be a great hire for them" sentiment as I'm seeing from UT boards and even national media (Chris Low, to name one) today?  Of course there wouldn't.  Some people just believe Saban can do wrong.  But when it comes to hiring assistants, his record is spotty at best, and that's a fact.

I think he'd be a good OC hire no matter what school hired him.  And being on Saban's staff is a great situation for him quite frankly.  Saban's going to keep him in line, no doubt.

His unprecedented success is a pretty good reason that he gets so much credit.  As far as assistants go, Jimbo Fisher just won a NC.  Mark Dantonio just won the Rose Bowl.  Kirby Smart is regarded as one of if not the best Def Coordinators in the country.  Lol, how can you say "spotty at best"?  I'm not just arguing for the sake of it, but Saban's success is undeniable. (And I hate it just as much as the next Vol fan)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:25:15 EST by VinnieVOL » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 11:45:06 EST »

I think he'd be a good OC hire no matter what school hired him.  And being on Saban's staff is a great situation for him quite frankly.  Saban's going to keep him in line, no doubt.

So if Butch had hired him, you'd be ok with that?  If Muschamp hires him, you don't think UF is a national laughingstock today?  Agree to disagree, I guess.  And while I agree that Saban will keep in line for a while, given enough time, eventually he's going to embarrass them.  Whether it's a recruiting violation or getting pulled over for driving drunk with an underage coed and a pound of blow in the car, it's going to happen.  Zebras can't change their stripes.  Kiffin is a clown, no matter who he works for.  I thought that last week, and I still think so today.  Taking a job at bammer doesn't change that (in fact, it reinforces it ).

His unprecedented success is a pretty good reason that he gets so much credit.  As far as assistants go, Jimbo Fisher just won a NC.  Mark Dantonio just won the Rose Bowl.  Kirby Smart is regarded as one of if not the best Def Coordinators in the country.  Lol, how can you say "spotty at best"?  I'm not just arguing for the sake of it, but Saban's success is undeniable. (And I hate it just as much as the next Vol fan)

First of all, you don't get to count Smart.  Everyone thinks these guys are geniuses when they're working for Saban.  We all know who the real brains behind that operation is, especially the defense.  During our last two coaching searches, I've been vehemently opposed to bringing Smart to UT for this very reason. Let's see what he does with his own program.   And for every Fisher or Dantonio you can name, I can give you a Dooley and Muschamp.  That's the very definition of spotty.

Look, all I'm saying is that Saban isn't perfect.  His robotic demeanor aside, he IS human.  He's fully capable of getting outcoached by a Malzahn or Stoops.  He makes good hires and bad.  And if I had to wager, I would bet that this is one of the latter.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 12:07:47 EST »

So if Butch had hired him, you'd be ok with that?  If Muschamp hires him, you don't think UF is a national laughingstock today?  Agree to disagree, I guess.  And while I agree that Saban will keep in line for a while, given enough time, eventually he's going to embarrass them.  Whether it's a recruiting violation or getting pulled over for driving drunk with an underage coed and a pound of blow in the car, it's going to happen.  Zebras can't change their stripes.  Kiffin is a clown, no matter who he works for.  I thought that last week, and I still think so today.  Taking a job at bammer doesn't change that (in fact, it reinforces it ).

First of all, you don't get to count Smart.  Everyone thinks these guys are geniuses when they're working for Saban.  We all know who the real brains behind that operation is, especially the defense.  During our last two coaching searches, I've been vehemently opposed to bringing Smart to UT for this very reason. Let's see what he does with his own program.   And for every Fisher or Dantonio you can name, I can give you a Dooley and Muschamp.  That's the very definition of spotty.

Look, all I'm saying is that Saban isn't perfect.  His robotic demeanor aside, he IS human.  He's fully capable of getting outcoached by a Malzahn or Stoops.  He makes good hires and bad.  And if I had to wager, I would bet that this is one of the latter.

I hope you prove to be right. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2014, 12:19:00 EST »

I can't speak for the national sports pundits but as for myself...yes, I would consider Kiffin a good hire for a lot of other teams. Tennessee? Of course not, for obvious reasons. We've been burned there once already. But for most schools, absolutely. Saban is a bit unique because, as Vinnie alluded to, if anyone can keep him in line, it's Saban. It's also a unique situation for Kiffin because if he wants to play his way back into a prestigious head coaching job there's no staff in the nation that's a better launch pad for that than Saban's staff. He may not be a god and he may not be perfect, but if you're an assistant coach looking to climb the ladder, you salivate at the opportunity to get on Saban's staff. My opinion is that you aren't going to get a chance to flex your coaching muscles on Saban's staff like you would on other staffs but, as you said, you're going to be perceived as great . . . and perception is everything.

Btw, I don't think it's so much Saban as the success that he has had. Rewind one decade and it was Pete Carroll's assistants who were viewed as the home-run hires for any school looking for a head coach. His success as OC not withstanding, does Kiffin get any of the 3 head coaching jobs he's had if he wasn't on Carroll's staff?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2014, 02:05:59 EST »

I am fairly sure that Simms their 2nd string QB is either a senior or at least a junior.  This isn't the first time that Bama has had to replace a senior QB.  They had to do it when McElroy graduated and AJ took over...which turned out well, so they obivously know how to do it. I don't see this hire being to help with the QB transition.

I don't know of any bammer fan that has confidence in Sims.  And I know for a fact that in some cases there is a touch of racism there.     But I do think he is a step down from AJ.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 12:56:57 EST »

IMO Saban is using Kiffin to land 5 star QB Ricky Town in the 2015 class, out of California - a kid who has a long relationship with Kiffin and is an absolute baller.

That worked out pretty well for them.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/10350020/ricky-town-decommits-alabama-crimson-tide-eyes-usc-trojans

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 04:44:42 EST »

Why are TN fans happy about this?  Guys a bright and experienced offensive mind and a great recruiter.  Many TN fans hate him but what does that mean?  He'll be in the booth, are we gonna boo at the booth?  He may not be HC material but I think this is a great hire for them.  Not good news for us.
I don't see how this clown keeps fooling people into giving him these kind of premium coaching jobs.What exactly has he done to prove he can coach?
He has been the head coach at Oakland,UT,USC and now the OC at Bama.The whole deal with Pete Carroll and USC title run was a wash because they lost their NC and were put on probation.
The guy is a douche bag,everything football that he touches gets a disease and dies or is put on life support.
IMO this is the beginning of the end for Saban and Bama's "dynasty" run.
Ol' Lame will have them on probation or in some kind of recruiting scandal in the next year or two I guarantee it.He is like a spineless used car salesman.
Can't wait to watch Rome i.e Tuscaloosa burn! Welcome back Lame  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:51:09 EST by crockettman » Logged
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 09:08:52 EST »

I don't know of any bammer fan that has confidence in Sims.  And I know for a fact that in some cases there is a touch of racism there.     But I do think he is a step down from AJ.

He'll get more competition in the summer. Just announced Coker to Bama.

BG
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2014, 02:26:14 EST »

He'll get more competition in the summer. Just announced Coker to Bama.

BG

So the great and mighty Saban machine takes a reject FSU QB and then decides he is the second coming of Mike Shula?

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 08:07:09 EST »

So the great and mighty Saban machine takes a reject FSU QB and then decides he is the second coming of Mike Shula?

Get back to me at halftime of this years game (and bring some food) and tell me about it. During last year's halftime, BG was happy, happy, happy!

BG
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 09:11:28 EST »

Get back to me at halftime of this years game (and bring some food) and tell me about it. During last year's halftime, BG was happy, happy, happy!

BG
Well, maybe you should leave the bar then ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2014, 10:40:18 EST »

Well, maybe you should leave the bar then ...

No bar. Couldn't make the game as the daughter was very pregnant and she delivered two days before the game. In honor of the two new little BG's-Bama Guy and Bama Girl-the Crimson Tide rolled. At least that's what the Grand-BG will tell them. 

BG
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2014, 10:45:58 EST »

No bar. Couldn't make the game as the daughter was very pregnant and she delivered two days before the game. In honor of the two new little BG's-Bama Guy and Bama Girl-the Crimson Tide rolled. At least that's what the Grand-BG will tell them. 

BG
So now you have barner grandkids????

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2014, 10:55:57 EST »

Don't say a word more!

BG
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 02:49:44 EST »

BAZINGA   

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 05:42:57 EST »

BAZINGA   

Just shut up Emerald and say no more! Let's keep this between us. Please! I have a reputation as a Bama Guy to maintain!  If this gets out, due to her, I could lose my Bama Fan license!:dielaughing:

BG
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: