VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 08:01:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off topic for the moment, but I know we have experts..... Vinnie???  (Read 11357 times)
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2014, 03:50:04 EDT »

Do you guys still think DiriectTV is the way to go? I must say the pricing does look fantastic compared to cable prices right now! I'm giving these guys some serious thought. Will they carry SECTV? Could be a deal buster for me, if not.

In Chattanooga: EPB basic expanded, no HD = $70/mos.; Comcast = who cares, I hate Comcast!; Dish = I haven't looked, but they seem to be the comcast of the satellite industry - had them 15yrs ago - wasn't impressed/disappointed, but no decent savings.

Direct appears to be the real deal for saving $$$. I'll be in a house with a mother-in-law apartment attached and want to see if I can split the bill for the 4 tv services/dvr's and get half paid for me!

Let's hear it & thanks to all.

G
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 04:24:42 EDT »

Every time I get frustrated with Dish and decide to switch, I change my mind after comparing prices with DirecTV. DirecTV just can't compete with Dish from a price standpoint.
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 04:57:41 EDT »

Every time I get frustrated with Dish and decide to switch, I change my mind after comparing prices with DirecTV. DirecTV just can't compete with Dish from a price standpoint.

Really? Hmmmmm....... I haven't checked the Dish online, but Direct has some sweet deals. Vinnie is the expert on Direct cuz he knows how to work those guys to sweeten his deals with them every year.

I am interested in hearing all! Like I mentioned, I REALLY want the SECtv deal. Know anything about that for Dish?

Thanks big-time!

G
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 05:01:00 EDT »

Love me some Direct TV

I've had it for the better part of the year and love it.  I like the package I got better than Dish. 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 05:03:02 EDT »

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/249610/dish-to-provide-sec-network-nationally-for-august-14-debut.aspx

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 05:20:09 EDT »

Ding, ding, ding!!!

I MUST explore this further. However, SECtv will be a part of ESPN and does that rule out other carriers? Other satellite carriers? Both? Neither?

(Karen need not know how I'm trying to organize my life right now!)

Thanks all. Keep those cards and letters coming!

G       
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 05:20:09 EDT »

I had Direct for over two years and ended up switching.  I switched partially because my contract ran out after two years...and they jacked my rates three times in four months!    It was ridiculous.

Then when I called to complain, they said there was nothing they could do.  It was only when I called to cancel the service that they made a real attempt to keep me, but by then it was too late.   

I guess what you are supposed to do is immediately tell them you are cancelling....my one year contract with Dish just ran out...I need to call them.  Meant to do so a couple weeks ago but I have been simply crushed at work and could not find the time.

But I do think Dish is a bit better than Direct on price...that part I agree with.  OTOH, the replay option on my Dish DVR is not as smooth as the Direct one was.  Sometimes when you hit the "instant 10 second rewind" feature it doesn't go back for some reason and in general the controls don't work as well...it's real easy to fast forward right past something.

But that's something I am willing to tolerate given what I save for Dish vs Direct....it was something like $8-10 per month and I actually got a few more channels with Dish.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 05:31:31 EDT »

How about the sat providers with split and quad screen viewing? I know, I'm thinking deep SEC football in March, but BBall is over. One must plan for the future!

G     
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 02:32:40 EDT »

I've had Direct for 5 1/2 years now and I'm still happy.  Yes, they've increased the rates a few times but do other providers not periodically up the rates too?  I just like the product, too.  I like the hardware, love the on-screen guide.  I think I would have a hard time getting used to another user interface.  My sister has Dish and when I'm there I've checked it out, I just don't like it as well.  Also, every two years when my contract is up I call and say "patch me through to the dept who cancels service" and they say "why do you want to switch?" and I say "because I can get it cheaper from Dish".  Every single time, and I've done this 2 or 3 times now, they've chopped off a big chunk of my monthly bill and given me a bunch of free hardware.  That's how I got whole home DVR.  Maybe because I've stayed with them so long is why they've given me things to keep me, idk.  So personally, I can still recommend Direct.  For whatever you'd save a month, Bandit said maybe $10, I personally would rather have the better product.  I bet if you told them what you can get from Dish, Direct might even match it.  Doesn't hurt to ask.  All I know is anything I've ever asked for, I've gotten.

And if you decide to go with Direct, PM me so I can get you my account #.  I get a cash rebate for referring friends.  

Edit-- The DirecTV receiver I have does do split screen viewing.  I used it during all the bowl games.  Very nice.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:39:13 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 03:33:09 EDT »

Ah, Vinnie's putting on the sales pitch.

PM me for Dish...don't trust his glowing recommendation, he just wants the money.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 03:36:34 EDT »

No one has pointed out that Dish is a huge supporter of UT sports. 

http://www.dish.com/redirects/promotion/vols/
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 04:27:21 EDT »

I have Direct, but as far as I know they have not yet completed a deal with the SEC TV Network and Dish has. Some say this is not surprising as Direct will wait until the last minute before negotiating the deal in order to get better terms. If they don't, then hello Dish.

BG
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 06:05:14 EDT »

Dish and Direct are both much better options than the devil itself, Comcast or any of its subs.  I have Dish personally, but you can't really go wrong with either.  Dish is the less costly option.  There's no question about that when you compare equal programming option plans.

The one major difference is that Direct has the NFL Sunday Ticket available, and Dish does not, but not being a huge NFL fan that isn't really an issue with me.  Dish does get the NFL Network and NFL Redzone channels.  Otherwise, there is really no difference in programming options. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 08:13:44 EDT »

Ah, Vinnie's putting on the sales pitch.

PM me for Dish...don't trust his glowing recommendation, he just wants the money.   

Nah, I'd recommend them regardless. 
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 08:35:20 EDT »

I have had direct for about 6 yrs and have loved it. I find it amazing at the stories about raising rates. The only time my rate has changed is when I have changed packages. I also like their customer service. Whenever I call them with a question, I am always talking to a live person in less than 5 mins and to me that is huge.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 10:32:14 EDT »

It does not matter if you have satellite or cable, you will get a reduced rate for one or two years just to suck you in.  When your contract is up, they will jack your rates up.  As someone said, you have to cancel or threaten to cancel service to lower the jacked up cost.

The industry (cable and satellite) cannot continue to operate at a loss or just breaking even when every provider like SEC TV is charging them increased costs.  The consumer is demanding more and better product and it will cost satellite and cable to provide it.  If you think streaming is the answer, well the cable companies are going to slow the signal down unless streaming companies pay more. As it should be.  If you want high speed internet service and HD TV, you better be willing to pay more for the bandwidth. Internet and HDTV are not free.  Pony up the cash to get what you want.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 09:50:19 EDT »

Do you guys still think DiriectTV is the way to go? I must say the pricing does look fantastic compared to cable prices right now! I'm giving these guys some serious thought. Will they carry SECTV? Could be a deal buster for me, if not.

In Chattanooga: EPB basic expanded, no HD = $70/mos.; Comcast = who cares, I hate Comcast!; Dish = I haven't looked, but they seem to be the comcast of the satellite industry - had them 15yrs ago - wasn't impressed/disappointed, but no decent savings.

Direct appears to be the real deal for saving $$$. I'll be in a house with a mother-in-law apartment attached and want to see if I can split the bill for the 4 tv services/dvr's and get half paid for me!

Let's hear it & thanks to all.

G

I have had DirecTV for 20+ years and they have consistently outshone Dish at each and every round. 

(1)  DirecTV has a sports pack that provides each and every FoxSports outlet around the country as well as most every spoprts network out there including BigTen network....SEC Network will be on DirecTV and all those saying it will only be on Dish are dead wrong.  I have already spoken with DirecTV about this issue and they are in negotioations with ESPN now for thier new ESPN cartage contract for the next five years.  One of those throw in for DirecTV will be SEC network as part of their ESPN bundle.....

(2)  All of the MLB, NFL, NHL, ESPN Football and Basketball and a lot of other sports PPV packages are on DirecTV and they are all HD Qualilty.

(3)  DirecTV HD offerings exceed Dish's HD Offerings (nummber of channels)  -- check it out.  Dish is still getting them all on their satellites.

(4)  Overall the customer service is excellent and with some of the new automated problem resolutions services from DirecTV you can just call and enter the receiver you are looking at and their service fixes the problem. 

I would rather have DirecTV due to those 4 things but I also get a great deal and since I have been with them so long they even supplied me with the equipment i needed ot set up my Tailgate system and even helped me align it for free.

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 09:53:21 EDT »

I have had DirecTV for 20+ years and they have consistently outshone Dish at each and every round. 

(1)  DirecTV has a sports pack that provides each and every FoxSports outlet around the country as well as most every spoprts network out there including BigTen network....SEC Network will be on DirecTV and all those saying it will only be on Dish are dead wrong.  I have already spoken with DirecTV about this issue and they are in negotioations with ESPN now for thier new ESPN cartage contract for the next five years.  One of those throw in for DirecTV will be SEC network as part of their ESPN bundle.....

(2)  All of the MLB, NFL, NHL, ESPN Football and Basketball and a lot of other sports PPV packages are on DirecTV and they are all HD Qualilty.

(3)  DirecTV HD offerings exceed Dish's HD Offerings (nummber of channels)  -- check it out.  Dish is still getting them all on their satellites.

(4)  Overall the customer service is excellent and with some of the new automated problem resolutions services from DirecTV you can just call and enter the receiver you are looking at and their service fixes the problem. 

I would rather have DirecTV due to those 4 things but I also get a great deal and since I have been with them so long they even supplied me with the equipment i needed ot set up my Tailgate system and even helped me align it for free.

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 12:16:17 EDT »

We could have a winner....

G
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 04:47:25 EDT »

This one is not true in my experience.  When I switched, both Dish and Direct had four basic pricing plans, not counting premium channels or sports packages.  I compared them very carefully.

For every package, Dish had more channels AND cost less.  It was a no brainer from that perspective.  Or at any rate, Dish had more of the channels that I cared about, and that's all that really mattered.

You may be comparing the top Direct pacakge to the second best Dish package I don't know.

But Gregg should do his own research and make up his own mind.   

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 05:20:27 EDT »

This one is not true in my experience.  When I switched, both Dish and Direct had four basic pricing plans, not counting premium channels or sports packages.  I compared them very carefully.

For every package, Dish had more channels AND cost less.  It was a no brainer from that perspective.  Or at any rate, Dish had more of the channels that I cared about, and that's all that really mattered.

You may be comparing the top Direct pacakge to the second best Dish package I don't know.

But Gregg should do his own research and make up his own mind.  

I only compared the HD Offerings and that is what I was looking at and DirecTV outdoes Dish on every shape form and fashion....look at the Sports HD alone and they have every Sports regional Fox in HD and usually alternates as well.....Dish does not let you get all the Fox Sports channels....that I am sure of because a guy I worked with had Dish and I asked him if Dish had all the Sports channels and he said NO they did not.....overall the amount I pay with almost every channel on DirecTV is less than what Dish would charge me....I know I did a strict price comparison after the initial deals wear off.....

Plus I can truthfully say I can point my dish at a football tailgate in about thirty seconds and have it operational it takes some of those Dish tailgaters something like ten minutes to get theirs pointed..... (just saying)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:24:10 EDT by EmerilVOL » Logged

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Creek Walker
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 05:26:01 EDT »

The way some of you all argue you would think that Dish and DirecTV have you on their respective payrolls. 

I have no such loyalty myself. I only want the best freakin' service I can get at the best freakin' price. And I'll roll to the competitor in a heartbeat for a better deal. 
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 06:21:22 EDT »

For my viewing pleasure, I really don't watch very many channels at all but I do want the ones I want which involves expanded viewing deals. I care more about the fall college football season more than anything and I want it in HD and I want rewind. I like to watch golf, sometimes NASCAR. I want PBS for the music programming and for America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country. I also like Aalton Brown's cooking show. Much of this stuff I can get with a plain-'ol digital antenna: 4 majors, PBS, but no news channels which is what is on while I work (good filler noise). However, since I have HD sets, I want HD tv! And I want a DVR. I could get by with Netflix supplimenting this summer because it's outdoor weather. No need giving money I'm not going to use (at the moment), but I did notice that over the last few days Direct dropped their deals from 24mos to 12mos! I don't think that will last until summer football practice

No way around a supplier for ESPN and I need that. I hardly watch baseball since the strikes of the 90's, so I might could suffer ther for a bit.

Direct seems to fit my channel selections with their 150 deal for $35, 12mos deal. Two or three days ago one had for sign for 24mos. The channels I like are HD; Dish makes no distinction when you look at their page; I can't tell what is HD(?).

Any and all input is appreciated. I do like to see folks loyal to their provider no matter who it is; makes me feel good when folks like the supplier enough to speak-up!

Thanks and keep it coming!

G
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 07:23:39 EDT »

I only compared the HD Offerings and that is what I was looking at and DirecTV outdoes Dish on every shape form and fashion....look at the Sports HD alone and they have every Sports regional Fox in HD and usually alternates as well.....Dish does not let you get all the Fox Sports channels....that I am sure of because a guy I worked with had Dish and I asked him if Dish had all the Sports channels and he said NO they did not.....overall the amount I pay with almost every channel on DirecTV is less than what Dish would charge me....I know I did a strict price comparison after the initial deals wear off.....

Plus I can truthfully say I can point my dish at a football tailgate in about thirty seconds and have it operational it takes some of those Dish tailgaters something like ten minutes to get theirs pointed..... (just saying)

We probably just have different tastes in channels.  But beyond that, it depends on the package you get.  I took their top package (which is unusual for me cause I am a tightass lol) but I got such a good deal the first year that it didn't really cost that much...AND it included every single premium channel for 3 months completely free.

Dish does have all the networks such as Big Ten, Pac 10, etc, and I made sure they had sports south, which long ago my cable provider didn't have (though Direct had it).  So there are plenty of sports channels...I get NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, Soccer, Tennis, Golf, and other more obscure sports that I can't even remember.

Anyway, I don't think Gregg can go wrong either way.  My advice is that he check both very carefully and just pick the one that suits him best.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 08:18:03 EDT »

customer service has always been very courteous and effective and as Gregg said, we couldn't beat their price either. I'm thinking of calling to say I'm considering switching just to see what perks they might offer....it's usually premium channels which I don't care about anyway but hey it's always worth checking.   
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: