VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 05:51:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Butch Jones is pissed  (Read 17881 times)
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 02:48:48 EDT »

Did not think you were THAT old ...

Yeah, I am, BUT I will never be as old as you are.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 02:58:29 EDT »

I have been following the Vols since Andy Kelly and Chuck Webb played and I think the rest of you are a bunch of old curmudgeons.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 03:27:03 EDT »

I think the rest of you are a bunch of old curmudgeons.

Just like Popeye said, "I yam what I yam".   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 02:50:44 EDT »

Lol, I'd somehow forgotten about that false start.  Thanks.   

Considering how things ended up, those self-inflicted wounds early may have cost us the game. Should be a great teaching moment for Butch.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 05:09:28 EDT »

It seems everyone has suddenly forgotten just how bare the cupboard was when Dooley left, even though it was screamed from the mountaintops as late as last season.  I recall many (most?) here saying the talent level at Tennessee was the worst in the history of the program when Jones was hired.  Now, somehow the Vols are supposed to be winning with same lack of talent plus one full year of Jones' recruits.  I still say the current disappointment is largely the result of raised expectations brought about by the clear improvement in play despite the same lack of talent.  I didn't see the Oklahoma or Georgia games, but clearly many fans agree the Vols "were 4-5 swing plays from taking Oklahoma to the final whistle in their house in a primetime game" and "1-2 plays from beating UGA in their house."  Were they "good enough to have beaten Florida"?  After watching the game, I think so.  But that's not because of having better talent or even equal talent.  I think it is only because this coaching staff has made the team better than the players' collective talent level.  And, that has raised expectations (of the coaches, players, and fans).  Double edged sword.  I'll stick with my pre-season expectation of 5-7, with 6-6 or better being a pleasant surprise, and 4-8 or worse being a disappointment.

HERE HERE!!!   You are dead on bro!

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2014, 07:12:35 EDT »

Don't think how long anybody has "been around" has a thing to do with whether or not a game was managed well. 

I've went to my first UT game when Dewey Warren was the QB and I have been following them ever since.  Seen the ups and downs and the ups and downs ...........

What I think a lot of folks are forgetting is that this was a bad Florida team - 2-8 in its last 10 before Saturday.  The ups and downs of previous years has nothing to do with why some of us are concerned. 

It has nothing to do with this past game, which was definitely my point.  It has everything to do with remaining patient as a fan.  Bad games happen.  Maybe it was all on the coaches, maybe it was not.

The fact is, I thought it would be a close game and it was.  Take away a blown call on the FG by the officials or the stupid fumble by Worley and we do win.

Anyone looking at the quality of Florida and expecting a blowout was bound to be disappointed anyway IMO.  A totally rebuilt offensive line does not equate to success.

But back on point...it's going to take a while.  You said so preseason and I agreed...I suspect you are sticking with that.  One bad game should not derail all the progress to date.  Fans today are simply too impatient.

So again...to be 100% clear I am mentioning 1982 because progress in the 80s was at a glacier pace.  Some of that was on Johnny....he was just so danged inconsitent, not only season to season but game to game.  Some of the folks on here that started following the program in the 90s don't have a feel for that.  TRO obviously does as do I, and our views are similar.  The progress that Jones has made so far is much better than anything I recall from Johnny, so overall I still like the direction we are going in. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2014, 07:33:21 EDT »

I can't decide whether I'm glad he's pissed or if I take it as "hey, coaching isn't the problem.. it's the knuckleheads that either can't or won't do what we tell them to do".  .

I don't see that.  If you have a specific quote, list it.  His comments on players were entirely directed at the O Line.  He states that developing an O Line takes "2-3 years" and is one position that cannot be rushed.  This is what I have always read and believed.  Do you believe differently?  And in that context, reporters were also asking why he didn't sub.  His response is that there is no one to sub, what we have is what we have.  That is exactly what I have thought is true for the last year...that we are inexperienced on the O Line and that it will take time to develop.  Last year's "NFL Line" that was heavily criticized was much more highly rated than this years, and they also sucked as frosh!  But to your point, I don't see any criticism of players or blame directed at them at all....if anything he is defending them!  He is explaining to the media that offensive linemen take time to develop...which they should know, but even if they do they are going to ask the question.

Here's my question.  Why did we move the ball so well the 1st four games?  

Because the Florida D is better than OU (on whom we also only scored 10 points, BTW) and much, much better than Uga's D.  Another analogy to OU...we turned the ball over in the red zone in that game too, didn't we?  I think you are actually giving our offense too much credit for the OU game.

We didn't "go for it" at all, instead it was a miserable four quarters of conservative field position football that I still can't believe Butch authorized in the biggest "statement" game to date for him at UT.  It was excruciating to watch.  Butch didn't "go for it".  He and his staff played it safe and they blew it.

I didn't see it that way.  For instance, immediately following the int at about the 20, we threw it in the end zone for an int.  That's not playing it safe!  Further, our run/pass ratio was greatly skewed.  39 passes to 23 runs (which does not include the 6 sacks).  The only thing you can criticize is why we didn't throw vertically more.  Well, the answer is a couple sentences over!  Worley didn't have time!  He was on his back most of the afternoon.  

This doesn't mean I am happy with the result, and I am certainly not letting the coaches completely off the hook.  We had some early success with quick routes like slants and then went away from it.  It may be that Florida tightend up on those routes,  I don't know.  Clearly coaching and execution both could have been better.

But given our 100% new OL and the fact that Hurd was banged up, I don't see this as a complete, program-derailing disaster.

Some of you had best not have a job as a train operator, a pilot, a fireman or any other job that requires steady nerves, or there are going to be some people dead.    

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:09:24 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 07:35:58 EDT »

It has nothing to do with this past game, which was definitely my point.  It has everything to do with remaining patient as a fan.  Bad games happen.  Maybe it was all on the coaches, maybe it was not.

The fact is, I thought it would be a close game and it was.  Take away a blown call on the FG by the officials or the stupid fumble by Worley and we do win.

Anyone looking at the quality of Florida and expecting a blowout was bound to be disappointed anyway IMO.  A totally rebuilt offensive line does not equate to success.

But back on point...it's going to take a while.  You said so preseason and I agreed...I suspect you are sticking with that.  One bad game should not derail all the progress to date.  Fans today are simply too impatient.

So again...to be 100% clear I am mentioning 1982 because progress in the 80s was at a glacier pace.  Some of that was on Johnny....he was just so danged inconsitent, not only season to season but game to game.  Some of the folks on here that started following the program in the 90s don't have a feel for that.  TRO obviously does as do I, and our views are similar.  The progress that Jones has made so far is much better than anything I recall from Johnny, so overall I still like the direction we are going in. 

Yes, I said that it's going to take a while, and I still believe it.

That said, this Florida team is not one of those teams that we were clearly behind to the point where they should come in to Neyland and win.  In "justifying" the loss most UT fans seem to be glossing over the fact that this Florida team was 2-8 in its last 10 games, and they beat us with a true freshman QB and a true freshman RB playing significant roles.  The "we are young" excuse doesn't fly. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 08:10:05 EDT »

That said, this Florida team is not one of those teams that we were clearly behind to the point where they should come in to Neyland and win.  In "justifying" the loss most UT fans seem to be glossing over the fact that this Florida team was 2-8 in its last 10 games, and they beat us with a true freshman QB and a true freshman RB playing significant roles.  The "we are young" excuse doesn't fly. 

I haven't seen anyone here justifying the loss.  The Vols clearly lost a game they could/should have won, and part of that certainly rests with the coaches.  I think the only area of disagreement is whether this one loss portends this staff being incapable of coaching talent and competing at the SEC level.  Some believe this offense and its coordinator, regardless of player talent, simply will not succeed.  I just don't think we have seen the offense with a full complement of talented players recruited to play in it, especially at QB and on the O-line, so I am still reserving judgment.  No more, no less.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2014, 09:01:13 EDT »

Some of you had best not have a job as a train operator, a pilot, a fireman or any other job that requires steady nerves, or there are going to be some people dead.   

Likewise, it's a shame you didn't go into politics.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2014, 04:49:22 EDT »

I'm not justifying the loss at all....just not ready to give up on Butch or even this season and I still like the overall progress.  A bad game or two does not upset me that much in terms of hope for  the future.

I hate losing to the gators as much as anyone though, and i am on record as saying we definitely should have won.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2014, 05:20:58 EDT »

Likewise, it's a shame you didn't go into politics.   

That seems funny, but I'm not sure why.  lol

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: