VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 03:25:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official. Gator vs Indiana*  (Read 4175 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2019, 10:32:25 EST »

Nm
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 10:45:09 EST »

Fulmer deserves some credit, IMO.
10EC
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 11:32:42 EST »

Very happy with Phillip so far....
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 11:43:16 EST »

Sec. 204 row F. Who all’s going?

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 11:47:16 EST »

That'll work.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 11:49:03 EST by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 11:53:35 EST »

Sec. 204 row F. Who all’s going?

Bought my tickets a while ago. I did a 4-pack special ($75 w/ parking pass) that was advertised on the Gator Bowl website and tickets aren't assigned until a week before the game so I don't know which nosebleed section they'll be in, but for that price I don't really care.  (They took it off the front page of their website once the teams were announced today, of course, but I had it bookmarked and it still accepted my order.)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 11:56:53 EST »

Bought my tickets a while ago. I did a 4-pack special ($75 w/ parking pass) that was advertised on the Gator Bowl website and tickets aren't assigned until a week before the game so I don't know which nosebleed section they'll be in, but for that price I don't really care.  (They took it off the front page of their website once the teams were announced today, of course, but I had it bookmarked and it still accepted my order.)

Well that sucks. I was at work and bought on my phone, and didn’t see it. I thought they had removed that deal as soon as the teams were announced.

Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 12:01:31 EST »

Well that sucks. I was at work and bought on my phone, and didn’t see it. I thought they had removed that deal as soon as the teams were announced.

I did too but checked the bookmark as an afterthought and there it was.

Just booked a room for a few nights at Amelia Island. Should be a fun trip. I would've much preferred to have played VaTech or a Big 10 team not named Indiana, but all things considered this worked out well.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 12:25:32 EST by Creek Walker » Logged
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 12:27:47 EST »

The Gator Bowl commissioner's comments seem to confirm what the media reported last night...that the Music City Bowl instead of the Gator Bowl was Tennessee's choice. If that's true, I guess Fulmer gets credit for listening to the fans and being willing to change his mind, but I'm still baffled as to why UT wanted the Music City Bowl instead of the Gator Bowl in the first place.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 12:40:01 EST »

The Gator Bowl commissioner's comments seem to confirm what the media reported last night...that the Music City Bowl instead of the Gator Bowl was Tennessee's choice. If that's true, I guess Fulmer gets credit for listening to the fans and being willing to change his mind, but I'm still baffled as to why UT wanted the Music City Bowl instead of the Gator Bowl in the first place.

Well, I mean some of the reasons kinda make sense.  More bowl payout, it's in the center of the state therefore guaranteeing maximum Vols buying tickets, easier logistically to get everything there...

I preferred a Florida bowl, for sure, but there were legitimate reasons imo.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 12:41:36 EST »

No idea if this is true, but read somewhere this a.m. that the MCB is losing its sponsor and is lokking for a replacement. Supposedly some high level UT boosters associated with the MCB and Nashville wanted UT and a packed house to attract potential sponsors.

Maybe flat-earth stuff, but it makes some sense as to why UT athletic department could have originally said yes to the MCB.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 12:51:09 EST »

Objectively, the MCB is the better destination. The payout is better, and Nashville is a much better town than Jax. The Gator has a better rep because it’s been around longer and it’s (barely) in Florida. But I still wanted this game because it’s closest to me, and a matchup with Louisville didn’t excite me at all. Not that Indiana is much better, but at least they’re a B10 opponent.

BTW, who else was there the last time we played Indiana?

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 03:25:10 EST »

Objectively, the MCB is the better destination. The payout is better, and Nashville is a much better town than Jax. The Gator has a better rep because it’s been around longer and it’s (barely) in Florida. But I still wanted this game because it’s closest to me, and a matchup with Louisville didn’t excite me at all. Not that Indiana is much better, but at least they’re a B10 opponent.

BTW, who else was there the last time we played Indiana?

I was there in the old Fulton County stadium...it was a rainy gloomy day but a win. I remember Indiana fans outside the stadium saying....We are a basketball school so don't get excited about beating us in football.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 03:33:11 EST »

I was there in the old Fulton County stadium...it was a rainy gloomy day but a win. I remember Indiana fans outside the stadium saying....We are a basketball school so don't get excited about beating us in football.

It was my first bowl game. FCS was a bad baseball stadium, but it was a HORRIBLE football stadium.

Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 04:08:21 EST »

Well, I mean some of the reasons kinda make sense.  More bowl payout, it's in the center of the state therefore guaranteeing maximum Vols buying tickets, easier logistically to get everything there...

I preferred a Florida bowl, for sure, but there were legitimate reasons imo.

As far as putting orange butts in the seats, I agree...Nashville would've been the best option. UNLESS fans were so disgusted with the Music City Bowl draw that they just didn't go. I know it would've been true for some; I wouldn't have gone to the Music City Bowl (odd for me, since I initially favored the MCB). But I doubt that would've been much of a factor, because as we well know Vol Twitter doesn't represent this fan base very well.

Beyond that, though, I don't think there are many reasons why Nashville would've been better than Jacksboro. The bowl payout, from best I can tell, would've resulted in around $300,000 extra for the university -- not chump change for any of us, obviously, but within that behemoth athletics budget, hardly a drop in the bucket. Maybe I'm old school, but I think the single biggest concern with bowl games should be rewarding the players. It should be fun for them. Except for maybe the players on the roster who are from Middle TN whose family and friends would've been in attendance, I doubt there are many players on the roster who would've preferred a bus ride to Nashville over spending a week in Florida.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 04:51:22 EST »

As far as putting orange butts in the seats, I agree...Nashville would've been the best option. UNLESS fans were so disgusted with the Music City Bowl draw that they just didn't go. I know it would've been true for some; I wouldn't have gone to the Music City Bowl (odd for me, since I initially favored the MCB). But I doubt that would've been much of a factor, because as we well know Vol Twitter doesn't represent this fan base very well.

Beyond that, though, I don't think there are many reasons why Nashville would've been better than Jacksboro. The bowl payout, from best I can tell, would've resulted in around $300,000 extra for the university -- not chump change for any of us, obviously, but within that behemoth athletics budget, hardly a drop in the bucket. Maybe I'm old school, but I think the single biggest concern with bowl games should be rewarding the players. It should be fun for them. Except for maybe the players on the roster who are from Middle TN whose family and friends would've been in attendance, I doubt there are many players on the roster who would've preferred a bus ride to Nashville over spending a week in Florida.

Yeah, from a player's perspective, a trip to Florida would seem like much more of a reward for sure.  I'd imagine a trip to Nashville would seem in some ways like a road trip to Vandy.  Barf.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 08:26:04 EST »

I think Tennesseans suffer from a local bias- Nashville is "been there, done that". But for those traveling in from out of state, it's a fantastic trip. Jacksonville isn't even close. I think there's a certain cache that comes with saying you went to a Florida bowl. But Jacksonville isn't Miami, Orlando, or even Tampa. There are no major tourist attractions there. There are beaches nearby, yes, but that time of year it will likely be too cool to enjoy them. The golfing is decent, if you're prepared to plunk down 600 bucks for a round at Sawgrass (which IMO is overrated anyway, but I digress). Nashville has made itself into a world class destination, and the stadium in within walking distance of most of the hot spots. That's a bowl that will likely continue to gain prestige, ala the Peach and Fiesta- remember when those were "minor" bowls?

Evol Knievol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 08:52:01 EST »

If you want to play golf, Jekyll Island is about 60 miles north and the courses are nice and much cheaper.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 09:33:19 EST »

I think Tennesseans suffer from a local bias- Nashville is "been there, done that". But for those traveling in from out of state, it's a fantastic trip. Jacksonville isn't even close. I think there's a certain cache that comes with saying you went to a Florida bowl. But Jacksonville isn't Miami, Orlando, or even Tampa. There are no major tourist attractions there. There are beaches nearby, yes, but that time of year it will likely be too cool to enjoy them. The golfing is decent, if you're prepared to plunk down 600 bucks for a round at Sawgrass (which IMO is overrated anyway, but I digress). Nashville has made itself into a world class destination, and the stadium in within walking distance of most of the hot spots. That's a bowl that will likely continue to gain prestige, ala the Peach and Fiesta- remember when those were "minor" bowls?

Agree about Jacksonville.  Not a lot there other than beaches, and the beaches are far from the best in Florida and not much use in late December.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 10:07:47 EST »

I lived in Jacksonville for several years and really enjoyed the area and still have some old retired Navy buddies that stayed there after they retired. 80% of the time while we lived there when we went to the beach we went to St. Augustine beaches because we liked them much better. While we lived there we found out we had family and friends we didn't know we had....They'd call up and say can we spend a couple nights with you guys and while we are there will you take us to Disney World. I took family and friends to Disney World so much over those years we lived there I could have been a Disney tour guide.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:10:08 EST by Tnphil » Logged
Navol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 02:36:13 EST »

IXnay on St Augustine  beaches; we already got TOO many snowbirds clogging up the place!!

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 04:39:07 EST »

Tickets - Checked
Parking - Checked
Hotel - Checked

Planning checklist complete

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2019, 04:03:40 EST »

IXnay on St Augustine  beaches; we already got TOO many snowbirds clogging up the place!!

Dat-Gum snowbirds have found the Florida panhandle too....never thought I'd see the day. My wife's parents lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 30 years and they take over that area too in the Winter months. We'd go down there in the Winter and they owned a bunch of condo's around golf courses I liked to play. I go to the courses every day and get matched up with snowbirds. Most of them were nice...unless you took their money.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: