VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 10:40:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well here's a little in-game news dump  (Read 4374 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2020, 06:54:07 EST »

Apparently we're cheating. Yes, that's right. We can't even win when we cheat.

https://fanrunradio.com/breaking-tennessee-football-under-investigation-by-compliance-and-ncaa/

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 07:00:29 EST »

That SOB cannot be dismissed quickly enough. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 07:30:46 EST »

Timing seems... Kinda planned?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 07:33:19 EST »

Eh, so that's why Gray is not in the game.  Was wondering. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 07:34:10 EST »

Hm,  that would be a firing for cause, right? 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 07:37:12 EST »

Hm,  that would be a firing for cause, right? 

Maybe, but here's the thing: You don't make a big show of firing Pruitt for cause only to turn around and replace him with Hugh Freeze. Talk about bad optics...

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 07:38:56 EST »

Maybe, but here's the thing: You don't make a big show of firing Pruitt for cause only to turn around and replace him with Hugh Freeze. Talk about bad optics...

Good point. Still, it's a negotiating point.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 07:50:28 EST »

Freeze is in the clear, isn't he?

I don't really see why anyone should care about optics at this point.
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 07:54:13 EST »

I have never trusted Niedermeyer. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if all of this is substantiated.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 07:54:27 EST »

Personal take: I don't care about optics. The news cycle is so short it's immaterial.

That having been said, I might take Napier over Freeze. And yes, I'd take Art Briles over both IF he was just a scapegoat at Baylor. If not remove him from consideration.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 10:53:57 EST »

I have never trusted Niedermeyer. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if all of this is substantiated.

Did you mean UNsubstantiated?   

Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 11:07:36 EST »

Did you mean UNsubstantiated?   

No, I meant substantiated. It wouldn't surprise me if Niedermeyer is dirty.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2020, 11:26:59 EST »

No, I meant substantiated. It wouldn't surprise me if Niedermeyer is dirty.

It would really surprise me if he wasn't dirty.

That said, every program cheats.  Its common knowledge.  If UT were to use that to fire CJP with cause, or to negotiate down the buyout, I can't imagine that would endear the program to future coaching candidates.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 12:04:24 EST »

It would really surprise me if he wasn't dirty.

That said, every program cheats.  Its common knowledge.  If UT were to use that to fire CJP with cause, or to negotiate down the buyout, I can't imagine that would endear the program to future coaching candidates.

Eh, who cares.  I'd roll the dice on that one for sure.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 12:15:11 EST »

Eh, who cares.  I'd roll the dice on that one for sure.
Eh, future coaching candidates might care. 

In case you've missed it, we've already had problems attracting proven coaches over the past decade plus.  I don't see that hiring CJP, negotiating a contract and buyout, and then using his staff's cheating as a means to wiggle out of said contract would definitely not improve UT's chances of attracting any proven coaches, especially since said coaches know that you have to cheat to win in college football.
Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2020, 12:48:55 EST »

In case you've missed it, we've already had problems attracting proven coaches over the past decade plus.  I don't see that hiring CJP, negotiating a contract and buyout, and then using his staff's cheating as a means to wiggle out of said contract would definitely not improve UT's chances of attracting any proven coaches, especially since said coaches know that you have to cheat to win in college football.

Every program bends the rules. I do not subscribe to the theory that every school is committing the equivalent of major NCAA infractions.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2020, 01:02:42 EST »

In case you've missed it, we've already had problems attracting proven coaches over the past decade plus.  I don't see that hiring CJP, negotiating a contract and buyout, and then using his staff's cheating as a means to wiggle out of said contract would definitely not improve UT's chances of attracting any proven coaches, especially since said coaches know that you have to cheat to win in college football.

Have we not attracted candidates, or just passed on good hires? We passed on Brian Kelly, Gary Patterson, and a few others.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 04:30:23 EST by murfvol » Logged

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2020, 01:03:13 EST »

I would hope that you are correct, CW.  My gut tells me, however, that all major players in college football are likely involved in illegal payments and gifts.

There was an article about bag men several years ago that was very damning to the major college football network.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2020, 01:08:23 EST »

murf, I would say some of both.

In hindsight, Patterson would have probably been a really good hire. 

I don't remember any proven coaches wanting the job when we hired Dooley, or Butch, or Pruitt.  I could very well be wrong about that, though.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2020, 01:36:50 EST »

ESPN mentioning the Amarius Mims' recruitment this year in their article on our predicament.  Hmmmmm.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ball-program-recruiting-practices-sources-say
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 01:42:23 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2020, 01:42:52 EST »

My take is, if they care, fizzle em.  Universities pay too much to fired losers as it is.  If a coach doesn't have enough confidence in himself that he has to have a big buyout in his contract, I don't want him anyway.  If that leads to no good coach coming here (as if any have?   ), then that's fine with me.  It's just a dam game anyway, and life is bigger than game that people put way too much energy into.

It's obscene that Butch Jones got $8 million for going 4-8 then shot a bird at the University for 3 years by being Saban's personal assistant for 30-35K a year.  There are people who have trouble putting food on the table.

Saban has said many times that he doesn't care if he has a buyout or not.  He actually didn't have one his first three seasons.  He does now, but his willingness to do without a buyout his first three seasons is one of the few things I respect about him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/216529-lack-of-buyout-in-sabans-contract-much-ado-about-nothing

So there you go.  Bama got SABAN without a buyout.  What more do you need than that?   

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2020, 01:42:57 EST »

Every program bends the rules. I do not subscribe to the theory that every school is committing the equivalent of major NCAA infractions.

This.

Go Army - Beat Navy!
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2020, 01:53:24 EST »

My take is, if they care, fizzle em.  Universities pay too much to fired losers as it is.  If a coach doesn't have enough confidence in himself that he has to have a big buyout in his contract, I don't want him anyway.  If that leads to no good coach coming here (as if any have?   ), then that's fine with me.  It's just a dam game anyway, and life is bigger than game that people put way too much energy into.
I agree with all of this, although buyouts are a way of life in college football at the present time (whether I believe they should be or not).  The one thing I've learned from Covid-19 is that I was way too vested in sports.  I'm much less vested now than I was.  It is, indeed, just a game.

It's obscene that Butch Jones got $8 million for going 4-8 then shot a bird at the University for 3 years by being Saban's personal assistant for 30-35K a year.  There are people who have trouble putting food on the table.
I agree with this even more than I agree with what you said above.

Saban has said many times that he doesn't care if he has a buyout or not.  He actually didn't have one his first three seasons.  He does now, but his willingness to do without a buyout his first three seasons is one of the few things I respect about him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/216529-lack-of-buyout-in-sabans-contract-much-ado-about-nothing
Again, we agree.

So there you go.  Bama got SABAN without a buyout.  What more do you need than that?   
I don't think this is likely to happen in Knoxville.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2020, 02:06:42 EST »

Well I know you don't pay much attention to what we women say... but I was just informed that Pruitt may have lied to the UT compliance office and things aren't good in Knoxville... so take it for what is worth.  May be worth zilch... but that's what I was told.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2020, 02:09:14 EST »

Well I know you don't pay much attention to what we women say... but I was just informed that Pruitt may have lied to the UT compliance office and things aren't good in Knoxville... so take it for what is worth.  May be worth zilch... but that's what I was told.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Well, I hope he didn't
But if he did, saves the school a LOT of $$$$

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: