VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 06:30:05 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matt Campbell as New HC?  (Read 6911 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 06:39:35 EST »

This is my concern.....It seems under normal hiring conditions we get turned down by our top choices and we settle. Right now with sanctions waiting in the wings it's far from normal and it's hard for me to understand what coach would want to leave a stable program and head into what we are probably about to face? Of course you can throw big $$$$ and make it attractive but we better not throw big $$$$ at a unknown because we just went down that road and it was a EPIC fail.

It seems someone at a lower tier school like ISU would want to step up at some point and not be afraid of the challenge.  But then again, only a tool like Kiffin would walk into a situation where the NCAA is about to drop the hammer. 

It's possible our next coach will be just a guy who holds things together awhile while we wait for sanctions to die out.  hope not though!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 07:40:38 EST »

I'm not in panic mode yet.

I really feel like nobody has any information and everyone is simply speculating.  No news isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the longer it drags on the more I'll feel it is getting to danger levels (talking days, not hours).
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 08:19:36 EST »

Anything past Wednesday isn't a great sign. However, tis better to make a cheap decent hire than get an overpaid coach just to sign someone 48 hours earlier.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2021, 08:38:36 EST »

Who would want Elliott from the Tiglets over all the other choices? Bbbbut he's a great OC. Really? He wasn't good until he got Watson and Lawrence at QB. Who wouldn't be good all of a sudden. Just like Bieniemy at KC. Was he a good OC before they got Mahomes? It looks like Andy Reid is holding the playsheet and calling the plays anyway. People need to look further into these guys story and see the whole picture. Hire a proven coach. Hope the AD knows what he's doing. He led those two powerhouses, Buffalo and UCF pretty well. But is he prepared for the SEC. Seems we still hire toddlers into big boy positions. Hope it all works out. 

volsboyinsodak
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2021, 09:45:02 EST »

LOL. This is so ridiculous.. now rumors of Franklin... so I'm personally writing it off my list!   In the past he's gotten some decent info,  so this time I thought I'd share.... not again!😂😂😂😂

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2021, 09:48:54 EST »

The Franklin rumors seem like they might be legit. I'm not a fan, but he seems like a slightly better option than Malzahn or Herman football-wise.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2021, 09:52:39 EST »

LOL. This is so ridiculous.. now rumors of Franklin... so I'm personally writing it off my list!   In the past he's gotten some decent info,  so this time I thought I'd share.... not again!😂😂😂😂

Nobody outside DW's inner circle has a clue
One of the Clayton aircraft headed for College Station earlier
That was proof positive that it was Franklin, except it wasn't.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2021, 09:53:29 EST »

The Franklin rumors seem like they might be legit. I'm not a fan, but he seems like a slightly better option than Malzahn or Herman football-wise.
There is a family issue involved

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2021, 10:01:49 EST »

I know we're not in a super great position to be picky, but I'll be pretty disappointed if it's Franklin.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2021, 10:13:50 EST »

I know we're not in a super great position to be picky, but I'll be pretty disappointed if it's Franklin.

I'd rather take a flyer on Elliott than have Franklin, especially since the latter would cost 2x the price of the former.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2021, 10:28:07 EST »

I'm not in panic mode yet.

I really feel like nobody has any information and everyone is simply speculating.  No news isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the longer it drags on the more I'll feel it is getting to danger levels (talking days, not hours).

You know, no matter who the hire is, and no matter how he does, so far this has been the smoothest search since, IDK, Fulmer?  Who was the heir apparent after Johnny shat the bed and really the only serious candidate.

I mean, maybe the Lane Kiffin hiring went smoothly, honestly I don't recall, but I'd be willing to be there was at least one public rejection even back then.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2021, 10:34:29 EST »

You know, no matter who the hire is, and no matter how he does, so far this has been the smoothest search since, IDK, Fulmer?  Who was the heir apparent after Johnny shat the bed and really the only serious candidate.

I mean, maybe the Lane Kiffin hiring went smoothly, honestly I don't recall, but I'd be willing to be there was at least one public rejection even back then.

Lane was an "all shizzle" hire from the clueless nice guy

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2021, 11:21:49 EST »

Doesn't Clayton have a plant close to College station?

And I've heard Franklin and his family aren't together because he has a son that's been/being treated in Nashville?

Just a couple of nugs I've seen posted.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2021, 11:39:40 EST »

During Fulmer's last season, way before the season was over, my boss at the time (who played at UT) told me that Fulmer would be out and that Lane Kiffin was going to be the next head coach at UT.  At that time I didn't even know who Kiffin was.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2021, 11:41:44 EST »

Doesn't Clayton have a plant close to College station?

And I've heard Franklin and his family aren't together because he has a son that's been/being treated in Nashville?

Just a couple of nugs I've seen posted.
Someone on VQ, who said that he was a Clayton employee, posted that the plane that went to State College was carrying a Clayton employee who was visiting their plant in a nearby town.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2021, 11:55:01 EST »

Someone on VQ, who said that he was a Clayton employee, posted that the plane that went to State College was carrying a Clayton employee who was visiting their plant in a nearby town.
Well for the record,  The UT plane was in Concord NC this morning, then in Atlanta for 3 hours,  then headed back to Knoxville.... what does all that mean???  Who the heck knows!😂😂😂😂

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2021, 12:21:07 EST »

That would have been Brent

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2021, 12:28:19 EST »

Hubbs may have posted it too, but the post I read was supposedly from a Clayton employee.  He claimed that he and another employee saw that their plane was headed to State College and thought it might be concerning Franklin.  He said that they then looked it up and found that it was only another Clayton employee.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2021, 03:58:51 EST »

Well for the record,  The UT plane was in Concord NC this morning, then in Atlanta for 3 hours,  then headed back to Knoxville.... what does all that mean???  Who the heck knows!😂😂😂😂

NC is interesting.

Cut?  His name was thrown around a bit on Finebaum yesterday.

Mack Brown?  Probably not, but who knows.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2021, 05:06:47 EST »

The Vols can't afford to hire another "he might be a good coach someday" type of coach. Our football program is too much of a dumpster fire to hire a coach that needs on the job training like Pruitt did. What kind of stupid are you if you expect to hire someone with no head coaching experience and expect them to turn your program around while learning to be a head coach at the same time? Plus..are you telling me no one in the athletic department new they were paying players. Weren't you a little bit skeptical when we had a top 5 class all of a sudden. But according to Pirate I know nothing about football. We are Ole Miss all over again. Hire an effing proven coach.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2021, 05:15:49 EST »

Hell Deion Sanders would be a better choice than some of the ones we seem to like.

volsboyinsodak
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2021, 05:22:36 EST »

Brady or Healy could prompt a trip to the Concord (outskirts of Charlotte) airport.

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2021, 08:32:33 EST »

What's the take from you guys on Franklin?   I've never liked him, but that name keeps coming up so was curious as to your take on him.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2021, 08:42:38 EST »

What's the take from you guys on Franklin?   I've never liked him, but that name keeps coming up so was curious as to your take on him.

That would literally be completely demoralizing and heartbreaking to me.  I think I would just give up on UT football - perhaps.  I can not stand the dude, but yeah, he is probably an OK coach.  However, his record at PSU ain't that great.  Can't stand the guy is probably holding back a good bit - I despise that fizzleing shizzlehead. 

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2021, 09:17:03 EST »

I don't like Franklin, but if he can build this program I can learn to love him.  I think that would be a really good hire for UT at this point in time.

Nick Saban is one of the biggest turds on the planet, but folks in Bama love him.  The same will happen in Tennessee (for the most part) if JF is hired and can win here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: