VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 09:36:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neyland at 100  (Read 1061 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2021, 01:26:51 EDT »

https://twitter.com/Vol_Football/status/1415449781212700675?s=20

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 12:27:34 EDT »

That is really well done. It's strange to think I've been going to games for ~40% of the stadium's history, which is a pittance compared to some on here.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 12:32:16 EDT »

That is really well done. It's strange to think I've been going to games for ~40% of the stadium's history, which is a pittance compared to some on here.
I just realized that I was opening the  40 years ago

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 05:19:04 EDT »

I just realized that I was opening the   40 years ago

That is pretty awesome, Pirate.

The first game i attended at Neyland was vs Memphis St in 1974.  If I meditate on it a little bit, I can remember the feeling of stepping into the stadium seats thru the gate and taking in that incredible space.  I can almost smell the hot dogs and maybe a hint of bourbon mixed in with a little Marlboro.  I was thrilled to get a couple of paper pom poms from the cheerleaders.  I thought that was just the best thing in the world - free souvenirs!  It was such a different place back then with the open north end and that stack of bleachers in the end zone.  Being able to see The Hill from the stands was pretty special.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 05:21:02 EDT by Coupe De VOL » Logged

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 05:49:06 EDT »

That's really cool Pirate. Coupe's story of Neyland's smell reminds me of the time before smoking was outlawed.

If someone was puffing a few rows down the whole section may as well have been puffing away.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 03:24:51 EDT »

One of the best views of Neyland was coming over the hill from YouTee’s old haunt and the misty fog and just the hint of the miasma of rain in the air and the lights of Neyland provided a magical backdrop to the soon to be butt whooping we were about to administer to the dawgs.  All day we had to listen to that infernal whooping from those desperate canines that swore up and down that Jim Donnan and the dawgs were gonna “rip us a new one”. On the first play from scrimmage Deon Grant purloined the very first pass and scored a TD and it was not the bullpups that ripped a new one....keep telling those dawgs that coon hounds make bull pups even uglier!  Then we had some bull pup igmo (that’s a contraction of ignorant moron) want to fight us cause we told him “good game”.  Sheesh try to be nice and a fan wants to fight us. 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 03:34:55 EDT »

One of the best views of Neyland was coming over the hill from YouTee’s old haunt and the misty fog and just the hint of the miasma of rain in the air and the lights of Neyland provided a magical backdrop to the soon to be butt whooping we were about to administer to the dawgs.  All day we had to listen to that infernal whooping from those desperate canines that swore up and down that Jim Donnan and the dawgs were gonna “rip us a new one”. On the first play from scrimmage Deon Grant purloined the very first pass and scored a TD and it was not the bullpups that ripped a new one....keep telling those dawgs that coon hounds make bull pups even uglier!  Then we had some bull pup igmo (that’s a contraction of ignorant moron) want to fight us cause we told him “good game”.  Sheesh try to be nice and a fan wants to fight us. 
wish I had a smart phone that night

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 04:45:21 EDT »

Not to accuse anyone of being old, but the only game I remember Deon Grant taking back the first pass to the house was against Auburn in 1999. 

It was down the southeast sideline, and occurred just after Bama had knocked off UF. I was in the nosebleeds on the southwest side.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: