VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 01:35:25 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Thread: Pitt  (Read 9174 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2021, 11:54:02 EDT »

I don't know. I definitely don't think he played well. We should have been up 28-0 with the receivers that we had open on deep routes imo. So, I want really impressed.

If he can't compete the deep open routes I don't think he can play in this offense. He doesn't run as well as Hooker either imo.

What I'm getting at is that last week Milton was said to have "uncorrectable" issues, like not seeing wide open WRs.  He did seem to find the open guys this week, just overthrew on long routes.  That has to be correctable. If it's not, nothing is.  Underthrowing might indicate not having the arm. Overthrowing would seem to be a simple correction in timing.

So yeah, he overthrew badly and cost us definitely one, and maybe as any as three long TDs, but he didn't seem to have a lot of the issues he had last game.

Overall agree that Hooker outplayed him and IMO should be the starter for now, but Milton IMO was overall better in this game. 

I guess we will see going forward.  For all the negativity on Milton, he has played less than most realize.  He started less than half the pandemic season at UM after having a shortened spring camp and no summer camp. I think he has some upside.

We will find out I suppose.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2021, 11:57:21 EDT »

What I'm getting at is that last week Milton was said to have "uncorrectable" issues, like not seeing wide open WRs.  He did seem to find the open guys this week, just overthrew on long routes.  That has to be correctable. If it's not, nothing is.  Underthrowing might indicate not having the arm. Overthrowing would seem to be a simple correction in timing.

So yeah, he overthrew badly and cost us definitely one, and maybe as any as three long TDs, but he didn't seem to have a lot of the issues he had last game.

Overall agree that Hooker outplayed him and IMO should be the starter for now, but Milton IMO was overall better in this game. 

I guess we will see going forward.  For all the negativity on Milton, he has played less than most realize.  He started less than half the pandemic season at UM after having a shortened spring camp and no summer camp. I think he has some upside.

I disagree
He did see the field a bit better but has ZERO accuracy on throws longer than 10-15 yards
He flat holds onto the ball forever and then seems to load up to compensate
Hooker hit two passes to the TEs that Milton would have overthrown bigly IMO
Those seam routes were there all day, one of our QBs didn't see them very often

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2021, 12:03:05 EDT »

I really hope that Milton turns out to be a good QB. He's got a cannon arm and did air out out to some open receivers today. So far I'm not really impressed, though.

I read somewhere the other day: "If you need Milton to throw it 50 yards, he can throw it 50 yards. If you need him to throw it 40 yards, he can throw it 50 yards."
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2021, 12:06:42 EDT »

Very much agree with JeffCo's thoughts that adequate QB play would get us a long way

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2021, 02:40:53 EDT »

I really hope that Milton turns out to be a good QB. He's got a cannon arm and did air out out to some open receivers today. So far I'm not really impressed, though.

I read somewhere the other day: "If you need Milton to throw it 50 yards, he can throw it 50 yards. If you need him to throw it 40 yards, he can throw it 50 yards."

I agree 100% that this is the problem, and don't want to understate it, as it's a serious issue. It was very frustrating to watch today, especially the last one in the second quarter to (I think) Hyatt that almost made it.

But from what I could see, it was his only problem today.  He was accurate on shorter routes, held the ball less time, and made better decisions (though still a few questionable ones). 

I mostly liked what I saw from Hooker.  There were a lot of people saying Hooker is a better runner than Milton and I was skeptical, but they were right.  Of course, I hadn't really seen Hooker play at Va Tech, other than maybe a few minutes here and there channel surfing.  Haven't watched an entire Va Tech game since the game in Bristol.

Speaking of which, I hope we do that again some time.  Didn't make the first one.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2021, 04:38:15 EDT »

Is Huepel the offensive guru we think he is or has he just been lucky to have had good Qb's to begin with at his other gigs. Anyone would look like an offensive guru if the QB is already talented. Andy Reid was not called an offensive guru until he got Mahomes. Hopefully Heupel is as advertised and the QB play improves immensley.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2021, 04:52:30 EDT »

Is Huepel the offensive guru we think he is or has he just been lucky to have had good Qb's to begin with at his other gigs. Anyone would look like an offensive guru if the QB is already talented. Andy Reid was not called an offensive guru until he got Mahomes. Hopefully Heupel is as advertised and the QB play improves immensley.

I, for one, would make a motion that your argumentative ass be banned if you start the our-coach-sucks nonsense two games in.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2021, 04:59:45 EDT »

I, for one, would make a motion that your argumentative ass be banned if you start the our-coach-sucks nonsense two games in.

Do I have a second?   
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2021, 03:02:32 EDT »

Do I have a second?   

Seconded, send BamaPerry packing

11B4PJ3F7
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2021, 04:10:41 EDT »

Very few vol fans can hold out for three years. The landscape of college football has changed so much. I remember giving Johnny a wide latitude in his results. I have not seen patience in the vols nation since then. Here is what I'm going to do... I'm going to be happy if they compete. They obviously did yesterday since you guys went from criticizing the coaching to criticizing the officiating. I will never be the first person to call for a coach's resignation. I don't have the stomach to continue to go through what we have been.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2021, 04:38:38 EDT »

Very few vol fans can hold out for three years. The landscape of college football has changed so much. I remember giving Johnny a wide latitude in his results. I have not seen patience in the vols nation since then. Here is what I'm going to do... I'm going to be happy if they compete. They obviously did yesterday since you guys went from criticizing the coaching to criticizing the officiating. I will never be the first person to call for a coach's resignation. I don't have the stomach to continue to go through what we have been.
I think that most sane people (those who are not trolls and the like) would normally be satisfied with just a few things from our staff: (1) a team that competes and doesn’t give up, (2) visible team progress from game to game, (3) sound coaching and player development, and (4) honesty. I’m sure there may be other items, but if this staff can deliver just those four things I think that most fans would be satisfied. Everything else would likely take care of itself.

Having watched these two games there are some signs of hope. We lost a lot of talent to the portal and had four starters out for yesterday’s game, we had an abundance of penalty yardage, we got a terrible spot on a crucial 3rd down play, we lost the turnover battle 3-0, but this team still competed to the end with a decent Pitt team. I, personally, am a little more than cautiously optimistic that CJH and staff can move this program forward.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 04:54:30 EDT by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2021, 06:52:50 EDT »

it is painfully obvious that Hooker is the better QB.  I just think Milton has a lot more upside.  I would love to see what Bailey could do, but I guess he just can't be anywhere near a run threat as the other two are.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2021, 07:13:05 EDT »

it is painfully obvious that Hooker is the better QB.  I just think Milton has a lot more upside.  I would love to see what Bailey could do, but I guess he just can't be anywhere near a run threat as the other two are.
While I agree with you what worries me is the inconsistency with Hooker
He can look deer in the headlights, confused or all world
1st series he was not ready it seemed
2nd series he looked all world
another series he looked confused the entirety of the series
The pick was simply a JG type throw, stare down the receiver, throw late and throw to the wrong spot - a trifecta that JG patented

As an aside, the Milton throw to Hyatt that knocked him out of the game (literally) was similar - Way, way freaking late (Hyatt had 10+ yards on the defender at the 20 - if Milton throws the ball on time he hits Hyatt around the 10 for an uncontested catch), behind him (similar to a LOT of JG throws) and the fact that Hyatt managed to twist his body around to get his hands on it was amazing
Also, Milton throws everything on a cloths line, if he puts some air under the throws yesterday it gives time for the OPEN receivers to get there, and more time to adjust - he has a cannon for an arm but doesn't have a clue how to use the cannon

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2021, 11:55:57 EDT »

While I agree with you what worries me is the inconsistency with Hooker
He can look deer in the headlights, confused or all world
1st series he was not ready it seemed
2nd series he looked all world
another series he looked confused the entirety of the series
The pick was simply a JG type throw, stare down the receiver, throw late and throw to the wrong spot - a trifecta that JG patented

As an aside, the Milton throw to Hyatt that knocked him out of the game (literally) was similar - Way, way freaking late (Hyatt had 10+ yards on the defender at the 20 - if Milton throws the ball on time he hits Hyatt around the 10 for an uncontested catch), behind him (similar to a LOT of JG throws) and the fact that Hyatt managed to twist his body around to get his hands on it was amazing
Also, Milton throws everything on a cloths line, if he puts some air under the throws yesterday it gives time for the OPEN receivers to get there, and more time to adjust - he has a cannon for an arm but doesn't have a clue how to use the cannon

Agree completely on Hooker in first series. Had the look of a guy who expected to ride the pine all season and had not prepared as well as he could. Did improve a lot as the game wore on though.

As for the int, if it helps he only threw 4 in two years at VaTech. Yesterday was a bad one, hopefully it was an anomaly.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2021, 11:56:39 EDT »

Agree on both points.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2021, 01:46:07 EDT »

Agree completely on Hooker in first series. Had the look of a guy who expected to ride the pine all season and had not prepared as well as he could. Did improve a lot as the game wore on though.

As for the int, if it helps he only threw 4 in two years at VaTech. Yesterday was a bad one, hopefully it was an anomaly.

Good point about Hooker's VT track record. That makes me feel better, as does his ability to take off on uncalled runs if the situation warrants.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2021, 04:32:38 EDT »

Good point about Hooker's VT track record. That makes me feel better, as does his ability to take off on uncalled runs if the situation warrants.

Yeah, I keep hearing that "Hooker is a better runner than Milton" and was skeptical, but I am a true believer now, for sure.   

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2021, 11:44:40 EDT »

Just asking a legit question there snowflake. I think Huepel will be okay if he can get the recruits.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 11:55:39 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: