VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 11:21:01 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Thread: South Carolina 2022  (Read 5252 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2022, 04:45:34 EST »

Hooker just walked to the locker room
Sans jersey
Walking pretty good, no. Noticeable limp

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2022, 04:49:18 EST »

Hooker just walked to the locker room
Sans jersey
Walking pretty good, no. Noticeable limp

I’d be shocked if he wasn’t done.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2022, 04:55:54 EST »

Agree with comparisons to the '01 SEC Championship Game

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2022, 05:04:11 EST »

Agree with comparisons to the '01 SEC Championship Game

IN what way?  This wasn't nearly as high stakes, I mean the regular season's not over.  And 2001 was a close game.  And LSU was a good team even though we were heavily favored. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2022, 05:07:31 EST »

IN what way?  This wasn't nearly as high stakes, I mean the regular season's not over.  And 2001 was a close game.  And LSU was a good team even though we were heavily favored. 

Tonight is probably a worse loss than '01 LSU. We were a 23-point favorite. To have been beaten at all would've been one of the biggest upsets in program history. To get beat in the style in which we did...I just don't know how you even put words to that. LSU '01 was a pretty good team -- except they were playing a 3rd string QB and 2nd string RB. It was an inexcusable loss.

And I think that's why the comparisons are being drawn. Both were inexcusable losses, given what was at stake. And, yes, the stakes were pretty damn close to the same in both games. Tonight wasn't for an SEC championship, but it was for a trip to the playoffs and the potential to play for a national championship. LSU '01 was for an appearance in the BCSNCG. Take away the SEC trophy, and the stakes are pretty similar.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2022, 05:11:15 EST »

Agree Creek. Both games would have allowed the Vols to advance toward a national title, but were thwarted by inferior competition.

It's not a perfect comparison, but there are similarities.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2022, 08:03:07 EST »

I still don't fully agree on the 2001 comparison.   That felt like the end of something.

This is, one would hope, the beginning of something.   It's all been house money this year.   No one expected is to win like we've won.  A natty?  No one could've imagined we'd be in that conversation.   It was fun, and this is so disappointing... but 2001 was the collapse of something bigger than a single season. How can one say that about this year when this is only Heupels 2nd year?  He's just getting started.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2022, 12:13:32 EST »

Tonight is probably a worse loss than '01 LSU. We were a 23-point favorite. To have been beaten at all would've been one of the biggest upsets in program history. To get beat in the style in which we did...I just don't know how you even put words to that. LSU '01 was a pretty good team -- except they were playing a 3rd string QB and 2nd string RB. It was an inexcusable loss.

And I think that's why the comparisons are being drawn. Both were inexcusable losses, given what was at stake. And, yes, the stakes were pretty damn close to the same in both games. Tonight wasn't for an SEC championship, but it was for a trip to the playoffs and the potential to play for a national championship. LSU '01 was for an appearance in the BCSNCG. Take away the SEC trophy, and the stakes are pretty similar.

Win in 2001 and we are guranteed a trip to the MNC.  Win this, we still have to beat vandy (very likely, but after last night  ), but we were in no way guaranteed a playoff spot.  Likely maybe, but not a sure thing.

But we are not disagreeing.  This was a worst loss in light that USC is a bottom feeder and they flat out whipped our ass. I say as much above.

Stakes were not quite as high in this one.  Still high though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: