VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 03:00:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You TN residents are so lucky…  (Read 705 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2023, 04:46:40 EST »

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/10/1148197634/in-n-out-burger-expansion-tennessee

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 04:52:15 EST »

I will rejoice with those who rejoice, but don't see the appeal. I genuinely prefer even Hardee's, and think they're miles behind Cookout.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 08:59:11 EST »

I will rejoice with those who rejoice, but don't see the appeal. I genuinely prefer even Hardee's, and think they're miles behind Cookout.

Yeah I don't know who the CEO of Hardee's is... but they need to go in a different direction. Here in Nashville they are closing like at 4:00 pm (maybe 5). What kind of a business model is that? It screams ... we don't want your business.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 04:14:22 EST »

Yeah I don't know who the CEO of Hardee's is... but they need to go in a different direction. Here in Nashville they are closing like at 4:00 pm (maybe 5). What kind of a business model is that? It screams ... we don't want your business.

I think Hardee’s has had big staffing issues since Covid. They keep odd hours, they’ve closed at least two franchises around here that I know of, and they’ve still never reopened their dining rooms- drive through only.

One chain we got here a couple years ago that I really like is Culver’s. They’re second only to InO in my book.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 04:17:58 EST »

I think Hardee’s has had big staffing issues since Covid. They keep odd hours, they’ve closed at least two franchises around here that I know of, and they’ve still never reopened their dining rooms- drive through only.

One chain we got here a couple years ago that I really like is Culver’s. They’re second only to InO in my book.
Can't wait to have some sliders!

Still 3 hours of travel, just driving vs flying

Hardee's here has closed several stores

Fast food in general has had and is having significant staffing issues
Wendy's is another that typically is drive through only here

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 05:16:09 EST »

Heard a program on the radio a few weeks ago saying fast food restaurants were going to smaller buildings with much smaller sitting space and fewer employees out front. Just staffing the kitchen and drive thru. Inside going to more self serve order and pay....They are building a KFC close to my wifes work and its half the size of their past stores....Most of the retail stores here have already gone to self checkout...In the past 6 months even Kroger has added more and more and newer self checkout lanes and less full service.

What I said 5 years ago when a certain group were shouting that minimum wage should be 15 bucks a hour...Anyone with brain cells above plant life knew the product prices will go up and the service will go down. The consumer is the one that will pay for it.....Well!!!

They are paying kids here at Chick FL A 15 bucks plus a hour...the same meal the wife and me always get cost us 19.50 two years ago...Today that same meal is 28.00 bucks....I bought a dozen eggs Friday....they were 5.75 per dozen.. Pre covid I bought them for 1.89 per dozen.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 05:33:50 EST »

I used to live in SoCal way back when and going to In n Out for lunch on a regular basis was such a joy.  I would agree that it is kind of an acquired taste, but dang, I flat out love it.  The amazing service you get is just icing on the cake.  The only times I've been able to get my fix since I moved away in 2002 are trips to Vegas and the infrequent trips to LA.  I come down to E TN a few times a year, so I say BRING IT ON!  However, I do not go to Nashville all that much.  I guess it might be worth a trip over there when I am in Athens.  BTW, that article seems to have an error.  It said "The Texas-based Whataburger opened its first restaurants in Tennessee last year."  Wasn't Whataburger in Memphis back in the 60s/70s???   

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 06:15:47 EST »

I used to live in SoCal way back when and going to In n Out for lunch on a regular basis was such a joy.  I would agree that it is kind of an acquired taste, but dang, I flat out love it.  The amazing service you get is just icing on the cake.  The only times I've been able to get my fix since I moved away in 2002 are trips to Vegas and the infrequent trips to LA.  I come down to E TN a few times a year, so I say BRING IT ON!  However, I do not go to Nashville all that much.  I guess it might be worth a trip over there when I am in Athens.  BTW, that article seems to have an error.  It said "The Texas-based Whataburger opened its first restaurants in Tennessee last year."  Wasn't Whataburger in Memphis back in the 60s/70s???   

Whataburger was in Nashville years ago. Specifically out by Rivergate Mall on the way to Hendersonville coming out of Nashville.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 06:33:32 EST »

Whataburger was in Nashville years ago. Specifically out by Rivergate Mall on the way to Hendersonville coming out of Nashville.

Whataburger came to Huntsville last year. It was packed for a month, then most lost interest.  The first time I went there the burger was barely warm so I was not impressed. Later I got one at a better temp, and my opinion is "eh, pretty good" but not great, certainly not worth all the fuss the first month, but of course everyone always wants the shiny new thing.

midtnvol, I don't know if you have tried In and Out but I am with Coupe on this one.  One of the better, if not best, fast food burgers.  Way better than the big names (wendy's BK McD), better than Hardee's better than Whataburger.  Not as good as Five Guys but close, and also costs a lot less.

So IMO In and Out is the apex of the fast food joints for burgers.  Very delicious product.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 06:47:19 EST »

We also got Wataburger last year. Agree- it’s good but not great. Definitely not worth all the fuss. To hear Texans tell it, it’s the greatest thing ever. Not buying it. Now as for ANOTHER Texas export we recently got around here, it’s everything they say and more. Life-changing experience.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 01:03:03 EST »

Cant expect folks to work fast food for $12-$15 an hour when there are plenty of jobs available for over $20 dollars an hour. I do know a young lady's parents that said their daughter is working at Mickey D's and only works taking orders in the drive through and is getting paid $21 an hour. Funny thing is, they own a nice restaurant and she doesn't work for them.

volsboyinsodak
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2023, 10:53:54 EST »

Gallatin Rd. and Trinity Lane. Been there a long time. Opened up a cook out across the street recently.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 12:14:18 EST by tshadow » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: