VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 03:01:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Thread: Arkansas  (Read 12408 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2020, 07:09:38 EST »

So much for the good feeling I had about this game. Thought we might win.

We should have

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2020, 03:56:38 EST »

Friend has been arguably the biggest liability since day one.

What's sad is that had Chaney not taken the OC job, Friend was next on the offer it to list. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2020, 05:38:54 EST »

We could have also possibly hired Briles (although he would not have had success here with JG).

Also, if CJP is micro-managing Chaney it would not have made any difference who we had on staff.  If Chaney has become this vanilla on his own, he needs to get out of coaching, imo.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2020, 06:51:21 EST »

What's sad is that had Chaney not taken the OC job, Friend was next on the offer it to list. 

Lol, wow.. forgot about that. 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2020, 10:15:40 EST »

Whoa Herb. That had totally slipped my mind.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2020, 05:59:23 EST »

For those who are in the "Sankey won't let Hugh Freeze coach in the SEC" camp, Tony Basilio just made a great point.  The SEC is a league where the likes of Will Wade, Bruce Pearl, and Lane Kiffin are head coaches.  He's not going to block Freeze if somebody wants to hire him. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2020, 10:36:46 EST »

For those who are in the "Sankey won't let Hugh Freeze coach in the SEC" camp, Tony Basilio just made a great point.  The SEC is a league where the likes of Will Wade, Bruce Pearl, and Lane Kiffin are head coaches.  He's not going to block Freeze if somebody wants to hire him. 

Herb, I made fun of Basilio a lot in the past but nowadays that's about the only podcast I listen to daily nowadays.  I appreciate Tony because he doesn't try to pretend he's not upset.  He speaks just like we feel. 

And yes, he makes some very good points on Freeze.  And like one of his callers said, we could've had Mullen had we been willing to pull the trigger on this deal last time.  If we wait again someone else is going to get Freeze and win with Freeze.
Creek Walker
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2020, 11:27:22 EST »

What about Fulmer? I just don't see it.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2020, 12:45:27 EST »

Freeze will be in the SEC before too long down the road. A SEC team will hire him and tell Stinky Sankey to go Frick himself.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2020, 12:54:20 EST »

What about Fulmer? I just don't see it.

Don't disagree, but as I have said - if Pruitt goes, Fulmer goes.  They are tied at the hip. 

Fulmer won't make the next football hire. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2020, 01:50:40 EST »

Don't disagree, but as I have said - if Pruitt goes, Fulmer goes.  They are tied at the hip. 

You really think so?  Just seems Fulmer was brought in so late in the game last time, his defense could be "look when I came on board, names like Pruitt were the only thing left..."
Creek Walker
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2020, 04:16:29 EST »

I won't claim to have any special insight on the thinking of the BOT or the money folks who would force such a decision, but that just seems unlikely to me. Fulmer showed in his ascension to the AD's office that he still has a whopping amount of influence with people who matter.

It wouldn't bother me to see that move. There are parts of Fulmer being the AD that I like, and I feel we could do worse. But I also feel we would be in better shape with a true executive type in that office, with administrative experience (like a Blackburn) and I wonder if we wouldn't have been able to make a better hire last time around if that had been the case. Even after the way the search had been bungled, if we had to go with a coordinator with no head coaching experience, there were more seemingly options on the table. Pruitt wasn't exactly on anyone's radar as a head coaching candidate. I felt at the time that Fulmer was trying to bring in someone who matched his old-school personality and who he could control to at least some extent.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: